99

SEPTEMBER 2019

"So, have you figured out our plan for tonight?" Elle asks, as Awsten reaches for her hand over the console.

"Well, I know I said nothing fancy," he starts, earning a look, "and it's not fancy! But, let me know if it's too not fancy?"

"You know I'll be fine with anything," she assures him.

"So, if we park up somewhere, I can play you the album," Awsten tried to keep his eyes on the road, only sneaking glances towards her, "then Mcdonald's?"

"Oh my god, yes," Elle beams. "I like this plan, a lot," she nods, happily.

Awsten drives to a spot where he knows has a nice view of the city, and brings the car to a stop. He shuffles in his seat, turning to Elle, aware that his anxieties are now beginning to surface.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She frowns, reaching out for his hand.

"I'm just kind of nervous to show you this," Awsten lets out a breath, offering her a small smile.

"Have I ever not liked anything you've made?" Elle raises an eyebrow, to which he shakes his head in return. "And you know you've made a great album, yes?"

"The best," he mumbles, with a sheepish expression.

"Exactly, okay?" She vies for his eye contact again. "There's already three singles out, which I've heard and loved. I've already heard High Definition, which I also loved."

"Yeah, I'm pretty good, huh?" Awsten's lips spread into a full smile, earning a giggle in response. "Okay," he lets out a long breath, connecting his phone through the car speakers, and pulling up the file for the album.

He doesn't really know why he's put this off for this long; maybe it's because in the back of his mind, he's thinking about Telephone.

Awsten isn't sure if Elle would recognise that it's about her, and he still doesn't know if he's going to tell her; he probably should, though.

After all, doesn't she have a right to know if he wrote an obsessive love song about her, the first day he ever saw her? He supposes it does make a cute story, now that they're dating and all.

"Angel, you need to press play," Elle brings him out of his thoughts.

"Oh, right, shit," Awsten blinks himself back to reality, and presses play on the album.

Her mouth falls open quickly when Cherry Red kicks in, and she hits his arm in surprise.

"Holy fucking shit," Elle murmurs, with her eyes wide.

Awsten grins as he watches her intently, and her expression remains, as she gasps when the song transitions into Watch What Happens Next.

The two of them take the opportunity to sing it loudly, and the same with Dream Boy to follow.

Awsten's nerves seem to have mostly dispersed when they reach Easy To Hate, since he's mostly focussing on the way Elle is smiling, and dancing along to each song.

As expected, the energy drops a little when High Definition begins to play, but Elle still sings along, swaying her head from side to side, as Awsten holds her hand.