85

MAY 2019

Elle lets her birthday breeze by uneventfully; she's busy, and doesn't feel the need to do anything special.

Awsten debated profusely whether he should get her a gift or not, and in the end he just asked her if it was okay to get her something; he didn't want to overstep.

She told him that he really didn't have to get her anything, but it wouldn't make her uncomfortable in any way, which is what he seemed to be asking.

The idea of flowers popped into his head first, but he ended up deciding against it; flowers feel too romantic for now, and he doesn't want to go overboard just yet.

So, he settled on buying her another vinyl for her collection. Elle was more than happy with it, especially since it was Voicenotes by Charlie Puth, which she hasn't stopped talking about for months.

She's still busy with press, but things have slowed down a little, allowing her some more time in the studio.

Elle feels lighter recently, but she isn't sure why. Maybe it's because she's a year older, and she finally feels like she's left the past year behind her; or, maybe it's because ever since she's blocked Alex, she hasn't had to worry about him trying to call or text her while he's drunk. It's the best kind of radio silence that she's ever received.

Though, her phone call with him did give her a few ideas.

She mentioned wishing Alex was sober, and she was a little taken aback that he recalled her saying that to him before - especially since she barely remembered it herself.

Elle turned the words into a hook, and it's snowballed nicely into a song that she's really proud of.

It's the first angry song she's written about her breakup, which feels liberating, in a way. It feels like a new chapter, a fresher start and a cleaner slate; like she's finally moving on, for real this time.

She's working with Zakk Cervini on this song, too. They'd exchanged numbers at Elle's release party, after throwing some ideas around, and she knew that they had to work together; especially after hearing how highly Awsten spoke of him.

It's just Elle and Zakk in the studio, and the song comes together quickly; it's pretty much tone within three hours, and she's bouncing around the studio.

"Fuck, I need to call someone," she looks around, restlessly, knowing there's only one person that she really wants to here this right now.

Elle picks up her phone and calls Awsten; he picks up almost immediately.

"Hey, everything okay?" He asks, with a concerned tone, since it's the first time she's called him in a long time.

"Yes, yeah, so good," Elle nods, grinning. "How fast can you get down to the studio? I'm with Zakk."

"Like, five minutes?" Awsten stands up from his seat at his desk, already beginning to gather his things.

"Great, cool, I really want to show you something," she beams, excitedly.

"Okay, I'm on my way," he chuckles, able to feel her expression through the phone.