39

JUNE 2018

Awsten and Elle don't talk about it.

They don't talk about why Elle kissed him instinctively in the first place, they don't talk about why Awsten took it upon himself to kiss her again after that, nor why they both felt like it burned them from the inside out - they don't talk about the words that Awsten spoke when they finally came up for air, or the way Elle smiled when she looked up at him as they pulled away.

They don't talk about it, and they don't tell anyone else about it.

Nothing changes, though, and they just carry on as normal.

It's been almost a week since the release of Elle's EP, and everyone is finally getting the chance to go out and celebrate.

It's nothing big or fancy, just her closest friends gathered at the Knight's house, where Mrs Knight makes a little too much food, as she buzzes around the kitchen with a bright smile, enjoying hosting everyone at the house.

"Thank you," Elle grins, leaning against the counter, "for all of this. I really appreciate it."

"No need to thank us, Elle," Ginny smiles in return, waving her off. "We are just as proud of you as Awsten is," she adds, causing Awsten's head to shoot up as he hears his name.

"That's not true," he shakes his head, moving closer to Elle, with his eyebrows furrowed together. "No one is as proud as me," he comments, a little quieter, his arms slipping around her waist, when no one is looking, as she blushes.

The commotion around them continues, but as Elle's eyes lock with Awsten's, she realises how close they are again.

She tries to ignore the way his eyes flicker to her lips, so brief that it's barely even noticeable - and she probably wouldn't have caught him if she wasn't doing the same.

Awsten is the first to pull away, though, settling for planting a subtle kiss in her hair, as she hugs his waist.

The evening is nice, relaxed and the only person missing is Taylor, due to work commitments; she'd offered to take the day off so that she could join Elle, but she insisted it was okay.

In all honesty, Elle has been avoiding her; she hasn't said a word about what happened between her and Awsten to anyone, and she knows that if she spends too long with Taylor, she'll see right through her.

Taylor suspects something is off, though; Elle has been keeping herself busy, and their paths aren't crossing as much as they usually do, despite living in the same apartment - and it definitely doesn't feel like a coincidence to her.

Once everyone has filtered out of the Knight's house, Awsten offers to drive Elle home, since it's getting late.

She says her goodbyes before he leads her out to his car, where he skips ahead to open her door.

"You don't have to do that every time, you know," Elle smiles graciously, as she ducks into the car.

Awsten shakes his head, with a subtle smile, as he makes his way to the driver's side. "But, I will," he smirks. "Every time."

She rolls her eyes, light heartedly, as he begins to drive.

Elle leans her head back and watches Awsten subtly, as he hums along to whatever is playing on the radio, occasionally tapping on the steering wheel.

It takes every inch of her to refrain from asking him to pull over, just so she can press her lips onto his again; she's been craving the feeling ever since she first felt it, but she doesn't act on it, not again.