18

MARCH 2018

Thankfully, Awsten's flight home was easy, and it feels nice to be back; he's not sure whether it's the relief of being able to sleep in his own bed tonight, or knowing that he's now less than an hour away from seeing Elle.

She doesn't know that, though; she doesn't even know that they're back in the same time zone yet.

Awsten had told her that they were due back home tomorrow, leaving him time to show up at her apartment unexpectedly, as a chance to surprise her.

For the last two weeks, he's replayed the moment that she surprised him in Leeds, and now he can return the favour.

Once Awsten arrives home, he spends some time greeting his family and throws his luggage in his room quickly, before grabbing his keys, preparing to head back out of the door.

"Where are you going so soon?" His mom questions, once he comes downstairs. "You just got back."

"Yeah, I know," Awsten nods quickly. "Just wanna go see someone," he answers, casually.

"Someone, okay," Ginny narrows her eyes at him, playfully. "Just a friend, or-"

"Just a friend, Mom," he assures, ignoring the slight smirk that she's wearing.

"Okay, honey, if you say so," she shrugs. "What time will you be back? D'you still want me to make you dinner?"

"Uh, no, I don't know," Awsten briefly struggles for an answer. "I might be late, I'm not sure, I'll let you know," he rushes, before kissing her cheek and heading for the door, wanting to avoid any more questioning.

By the time he pulls up at Elle's complex, he's practically itching to see her; if it wasn't for the few people passing him in the corridors, he would be running up the flights of stairs to her apartment.

As he reaches her hall, he slows his pace as he approaches her door, able to hear her singing through the walls.

It reminds him of the first day they met, when he'd heard her singing from inside the new florist's; it's almost like deja vu, but each time he hears her sing, it's like he's hearing it for the first time all over again.

Awsten leans his head against the wall, listening closer, and once he can hear more clearly, he recognises the song she's singing to be Want You Back by 5 Seconds Of Summer.

He smiles to himself, knowing how much she loves them, and admiring the way she's singing the song so beautiful.

The band are due to play a show in Houston next month at the House of Blues, and Awsten is sure it's around the time of Elle's birthday, which he knows will be too much of a coincidence to ignore when the time comes.

The song comes to a close and Elle's singing stops, bringing Awsten swiftly out of his entrancement to finally knock at her door, and he listens for her faint footsteps as she makes her way over.

"Hey!" He grins widely, as soon as his eyes land upon Elle.

She blinks a couple of times, before her eyes widen, and she registers that it's actually Awsten.

"I- hi, oh my god!" She steps to the side, allowing him to step over the threshold of the apartment.

He watches as her lips curve into a bright smile, despite her furrowed eyebrows, clearly still in shock that he's stood in front of her.