8

FEBRUARY 2018

"Shouldn't you be packing?" Geoff raises his eyebrows, staring back at his phone screen, displaying Awsten pacing around his room.

"How do you know that I haven't already packed?" Awsten bounces back, feigning offence at Geoff's presumptions.

"Because you always leave it until the night before, Awsten," he rolls his eyes, and Awsten knows he's right, so there's not much room for him to argue.

"Okay, but do you think we should bring this to the studio when we get back?" He asks, quickly, changing the subject. "If you say yes, I will literally make sure that I pack tonight, but I just want your opinion, because I think this shit is tight," Awsten continues, growing more excited. "Even though, it's not completely finished, but like, I can demo it properly today, before we leave, and-"

"Yes, of course," Geoff jumps in, before he gets the chance to ramble. "It's great, I really like it, and it'll be even better when it's finished," he assures him, though he doubts he needs much reassurance. "But, please don't forget that we have to be on a plane in two days, when we won't be home for another month, and you always forget something," Geoff reminds him.

"Cool, yeah, won't forget," Awsten nods, "thanks a lot, really appreciate it, see you soon!" He rushes to hang up, which earns a disapproving look from Geoff, though he isn't surprised.

Awsten gets straight to work on the new idea that hasn't left him alone all week, and it all finally seems to be coming together.

After about an hour, he heads downstairs quickly, to grab a drink.

"Shouldn't you be packing?" His mother, Ginny, points out and Awsten instinctively rolls his eyes.

"Yes, Mom, you sound like Geoff," he replies, opening the fridge to grab his bottle of orange juice. "I'm just working on something."

"I know, we can hear," she smiles, as Awsten looks back at her, sheepishly.

"Sorry, I can turn it down a little," he closes the fridge again, making sure to take his orange juice with him.

"No, it's okay, honey, it sounds good," Ginny waves him off. "Any idea what you're calling it?"

"Play."

//

Once Awsten finally pulls himself away from working, after finishing his demo, the evening starts to set in; Elle has been at work all day, but he knows she should be back by now, and he really wants her company while he starts to pack for tour, so he calls her.

"Hi," she answers, almost immediately, smiling as her phone lights up with his name.

"Hey!" Awsten grins, simply at the sound of her voice. "You okay? What're you doing?"

"I'm okay," she replies, with only slight hesitation, but her tone sounds steady. "I got back from work about half an hour ago, so nothing much," she answers, smiling softly at how he cares to ask. "How about you? You okay?"

"I'm good," Awsten nods, "was going to start packing, wanna help?" He asks, really hoping that she says yes.

"Yeah, definitely," Elle smiles, and Awsten can hear it in her tone, which makes him feel fuzzy inside. "I can be over in like, five minutes."