Father Daughter Work Day

The next day when (Y/N) and Owen arrived at the Raptor paddock they were greeted by their “favorite” person Vic Hoskins.
    “Oh, this’ll be fun,” (Y/N) sadi sarcastically, not wanting to get out of the vehicle.
    “Don’t hit him,” Owen cautioned.
    “Only if you don’t,” (Y/N) said with a cheeky grin before jumping out of the vehicle.
    Owen followed her, he was a lot less excited.
    “Mornin’ miss Grady,” Hoskins said trying to be polite but the tone in his voice killed any chance of that.
    She walked straight past him not even sparing him a glance. Owen watched her go before talking to Hoskins.
    “What do you want?” Owen asked, he really wasn’t in the mood for this today.
    “Straight to the point today aren’t we,” Hoskins replied.
    “Either tell me why you’re here or leave,” Owen said as he began to walk away, Hoskins followed him.
    “Well, I heard about what happened on moving day, sorry I wasn’t here by the way.”
    “You weren’t missed,” Owen interrupted.
    “Well either way,” Hoskins continued not missing a beat, “I’ll be back in a few weeks to see how everything is going.”
    “And you’re telling me this because?” Owen asked, normally Hoskins would just show up unannounced like he had today.
    “Well, I thought that you’d just like to know,” Hoskins said before leaving.
    Owen just sighed and shook his head.
    “He’s definitely up to something,” (Y/N) said quickly from behind Owen, making him jump slightly.
    He just laughed at her before making his way to the stairs.
    “Come on, we gotta see how these guys work together,” Owen called back over his shoulder as he went up the stairs.
    (Y/N) followed excitedly, he laughed at her again as she snuck by him on the catwalk. She had been waiting for this day since she found out she was getting her own Raptor, she had gone with her Dad to work since she was 4 but she had never really been able to do anything other than prep a few things.
    “Just remember this is a serious thing,” Owen reminded as he caught up with her.
    “I know,” (Y/N) replied finally standing still, she had been cautioned about how important it was for things to go smoothly since she was little.
    Someone tossed Owen his little clicker which he had used to get the Raptor’s attention once they were in the bigger area and listened to him less. Owen Raptor’s had been trained with clicks but Eclipse had been trained by (Y/N) whistling, it was the only thing that got her attention other than food when she didn’t want to listen.
    “Ready?” Owen asked.
    (Y/N) nodded her head, suddenly she was very nervous, she had always dreamed of working with her father but now that she was at that point she was more nervous than she had ever been. The squealing of a pig brought her away from her thoughts, she looked down to see the poor pig, who had been doing this for a few weeks now, running through the clearing closely followed by most of the Raptors. Once the pig was safely in its cage the Raptors looked up to the catwalk. Blue, Delta, Charlie, and Echo were there but Eclipse had yet to show herself. (Y/N) looked into the dense jungle to try and pick out any sign of her Raptor. After about 30 seconds Eclipse came darting out of the trees, she looked around at the other Raptors quickly before following their line of sight up to the catwalk and (Y/N). Owen called out orders to his Raptors while (Y/N) kept Eclipse focused on her, the other Raptors took no notice of her whistles, they rarely reacted to whistles unless it was Owen and even then it was rare. Once they had followed their orders sufficiently they received their treats and were allowed to leave and go back to the jungle within the concrete walls. Everyone began to clap after a few seconds, (Y/N) let out a sigh of relief.
    “Nervous?” Owen asked.
    “Maybe a little,” (Y/N) replied casually.
    “Well, let’s get some stuff taken care of then get some lunch. What do you say?” Owen suggested.
    “Sure,” (Y/N) said with a small smile.
    “Race you down the stairs,” Owen said quickly before taking off towards the stairs.
    “Hey! No fair!” (Y/N) shouted as she raced after him.