This Is The End For Us

The hybrid had run around and in front of her, swinging its tail and embedding its two spikes into (Y/N)'s chest. In one swift motion, the dinosaur pulled its spikes out of her, leaving her wide-eyed, watching the blood drain out of her body. She stumbled back and fell, the hybrid towering over her, ready to finish her off. 

"I can't move! I have to move! Why can't I move?!" (Y/N) mentally scolded herself. 

She could feel her blood slowly spreading out around her. The hybrid began opening its jaws, then, in a flash of dark colors, something knocked the dinosaur away. (Y/N) managed to turn her head to see Eclipse guarding her against the predator. In her condition, (Y/N) couldn't figure out how Eclipse had knocked a dinosaur nearly twice her size away.

"It'll kill her," (Y/N) panicked at the thought.

She tried to get to her feet but fell to the ground before she got very far. Eclipse was walking back and forth in front of the hybrid, keeping it from going around her to get to (Y/N).

"Eclipse," (Y/N) managed to get her name out through the blood beginning to pool in her mouth and trail down her face.

Eclipse turned back to her for a second, and in that second, for reasons unknown, the hybrid turned and ran deeper into the forest. Eclipse stepped to follow it but stopped when (Y/N) began to cough up blood. There was no question, the spikes had punctured her lungs, likely doing the same to her heart. Eclipse turned back toward her, worry instantly filling her eyes. She ran the few steps that separated them.

"Hi baby," (Y/N) smiled, getting the words out with visible difficulty, reaching her hand out.

Eclipse pushed past her hand and began pushing (Y/N) with her head, trying to get her to get up, trying to get her to be alright, to walk away from this just like everything else they had been through. 

"Eclipse, stop," (Y/N) said, nearly choking on the blood building up in her throat. 

Eclipse took half a step back, nuzzling her head into (Y/N) hand, laying down on the ground so that their bodies were pressed up against each other. (Y/N) could've sworn she saw a tear. 

"You'll be- okay," (Y/N) got the words out, having to pause halfway to get whatever breath she could. 

(Y/N) moved her hand on top of Eclipse's head as the dinosaur attempted to close any remained gap between them. Tears rolled down (Y/N)'s face, mixing with the blood. It was becoming nearly impossible to breathe as the seconds raced by, not bothering to leave her the time she required to say what needed to be said. 

"Take care of Dad- he'll take care of you. Take care of that baby. Stay safe, please," (Y/N) struggled to get the words out.

Eclipse pushed her head gently into the side of (Y/N) chest, looking up at her. They both knew it, this was it. Eclipse moved her head on top of (Y/N)'s chest, (Y/N) used whatever strength she had left to wrap her arm around Eclipse's neck. They stayed like this for a few seconds before (Y/N)'s eyes slipped closed and her hand slowly dropped to the hard ground below. Any sounds or movements coming from her disappeared. Eclipse stayed as she was until the rest of the team arrived a few minutes later. Even though they knew it would be in vain, they attempted CPR for nearly an hour. There was crying, shouting of orders, and simply disbelieving stares. 

"We have to tell Owen," Colt murmured in a hushed voice. 

Meanwhile, in the cabin:

"(Y/N) should be home soon, it's almost supper time," Claire commented.

"Yeah, she said she wanted to tell me something, she seemed really excited. We're probably gonna go to the bar in town for supper and a few drinks so don't worry about us," Owen replied, however, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

That feeling only grew stronger when a vehicle he recognized as the team vehicle pulled up to the house.

"Who's gonna tell him?" Layla nearly whispered.

"I'll do it, I've met him before when checking in on Eclipse," Colt offered.

They all got out of the vehicle when Owen stepped out of the door. Owen could immediately tell that something was wrong by the looks of their faces, then Eclipse appeared behind them, covered in dried blood. 

"Where's (Y/N)?" Owen asked slowly, he heard the door behind him open, Maisie and Claire listening as well.

He stepped off the little porch just before Colt started to speak. He explained the whole situation in a shaking voice, then he held out a folded-up piece of paper.

"We found this in her pocket," Colt finished.

It was her will, and at the bottom, in scribbly, excited letters, "Eclipse has an egg!!!!"

Owen laughed, tears streaming down his face, putting his hand to his mouth. He asked her team to leave and once the vehicle was out of sight he dropped to his knees and screamed and cried for a long time.

"How did this happen?! Why did this have to happen?!" Owen screamed in his own head, too overwhelmed by tears to form actual words. 

Once his crying had calmed down he mumbled two words in a broken voice, "My baby."

Eclipse was standing directly in front of him, he could tell by the look in her eyes that she was in just as much pain as he was. (Y/N) had been her mother, the one person who was always there for her, who always tried to protect her, and now she was gone forever. 

"She wasn't alone. At least she wasn't alone," Owen thought.

Once he had had time to sit with her body and plan the funeral he finally called the one person neither he nor (Y/N) had talked to in years. (Y/N)'s mother.

"Owen, I'm kinda busy, I'm gonna have to call you back," Her mother said through the phone.

"(Y/N)'s dead," Owen said simply, voice hoarse from crying yet. 

There was silence for a few seconds, and then, "What?"

Owen explained the whole thing and then added, "Her funeral is this Friday."

Her mother showed up but didn't stay for more than a half hour. As requested in her will, (Y/N) was buried in the clearing in the forest where she and Eclipe had gone every day, along the treeline. Owen visited the grave nearly every day, Eclipse slept there some days and refused to eat for a week after her death before (Y/N)'s last words seemed to settle with her. The team was disbanded but still stayed close and Colt would come once a week to check on Eclipse and the egg. 

Finally, a few months after (Y/N)'s death, Eclipse brought her egg to the grave, placing it near her headstone, in the middle of the night, during a full moon and a cloudless sky full of shining stars. Slowly, the egg began to crack, and then, a few minutes later, fell apart entirely. Eclipse roared to the moon as if she was trying to say, "Look Mom, I did it. I'm gonna be just like you."

A/N: I cried so hard I woke my dog up 😥😭. Very important announcement in the Q&A chapter, in case you need an incentive to read it, here's a hint:

.

.

.

Sequel.