This Is A Mess

As soon as they got home Owen was greeted by Maisie, quickly followed by Claire. Maisie moved on to (Y/N).

"How was it?" Maisie asked.

(Y/N) saw Owen turn his head slightly with a stupid grin on his face for a second.

"It was pretty good, they'll be on their way to the sanctuary soon," (Y/N) answered.

Maisie turned back to the house as if she was gonna say something then turned back extremely quickly when she saw Owen and Claire kissing.

"Okay," Maisie said in a drawn-out, uncomfortable voice.

(Y/N) shifted a little uncomfortably, "Bet you can't beat me to the house."

"Bet I can," Maisie said, already running towards the door.

"Hey, no fair!" (Y/N) cried, running after her.

"That still seems so weird to me," Maisie said after the door was shut.

"You're not the only one," (Y/N) laughed.

(Y/N) looked out the window, "What did you do this time."

"What do you mean?" Maisie asked.

"They look like they're having a serious conversation," (Y/N) replied.

"It's not anything to be worked up about," Maisie answered.

"I'll take your word for it," (Y/N) said simply, walking to the kitchen.

"Really?" Maisie asked, sounding surprised.

"That doesn't mean I don't think you didn't do something wrong," (Y/N) added.

"Am I just supposed to stay here for the rest of my life?" Maisie asked, getting upset.

"No, but I'm not in charge of that decision," (Y/N) replied.

"But they'll listen to you more than they'll listen to me," Maisie begged.

"Sorry kid, I don't completely agree with what they're doing but I don't know of a better way to keep you safe," (Y/N) said, sounding sorry.

"I'll tell you what," (Y/N) continued after seeing how sad Maisie seemed, "once this whole thing is over, I'll take you wherever you want, whenever you want. We'll go to parks, movies, candy stores, anything, and everything."

(Y/N) opened the fridge, and grabbed two beers, one for her now and one for Owen later. She didn't drink much, just when the occasion seemed right. Then she pointed a finger at Maisie, getting her attention.

"Maybe we'll even see some hot boys," (Y/N) joked, accomplishing her goal of making Maisie laugh.

After they ate supper, Owen, Maisie, and (Y/N) were sitting outside by the fire while Claire finished cleaning. Owen was teaching Maisie how to carve a piece of wood. (Y/N) spun her knife around once. Maisie watched her and then spun hers twice.

"Show off," (Y/N) said joking, but sounding offended.

She leaned forward a bit more, moving her knife around in her hand 

"Alright, before you two get in a knife spinning competition," Claire started, making eye contact with Owen and nodding at Maisie.

"Aw, come on but we've been planning this for months," (Y/N) joked, rolling her eyes and making Maisie laugh.

Owen glared at (Y/N) subtly and she went silent, then he turned to Maisie.

"Listen, kid, we should probably talk about you going into town," Owen started.

"I don't think you understand how bad it is being trapped," Maisie snapped.

"You're not trapped here. We just don't trust people," Owen tried to explain.

"No, you just don't trust me and then you expect me to trust you. Why can't I have any freedom?" Maisie asked, clearly frustrated.

"Because you can't," Owen snapped.

Maisie finally had enough and started towards the house. 

"Maisie, that's not how he meant it," (Y/N) called after her, getting up to follow her.

"Don't worry, that only sounded way worse than you meant it," (Y/N) said as she walked past Owen, hitting him a little harder on the back of the shoulder than she meant to.

(Y/N) caught Maisie on the porch.

"He didn't mean it like that. He might not show it, but he's just scared," (Y/N) tried to explain.

"I don't care, I hate both of them!" Maisie shouted before opening the door.

"Hey!" (Y/N) snapped, grabbing Maisie's arm, not hard enough to stop her but enough to get her attention.

"You may not like what they're doing now, but it really is for the best. And Maisie, remember he's still my Dad, watch what you say," (Y/N) warned.

(Y/N) let go of Maisie's arm, Maisie looked at her for a few seconds before turning to go inside. 

"Hey, I think I win," (Y/N) whispered to Maisie.

Maisie looked back at her, confused. In one slick motion (Y/N) pulled her knife out and pinned the corner of Claire's blanket to the wood. (Y/N) and Maisie both started laughing at Claire's reaction, even Owen broke down in laughter.