Precious Memories

A/N: In this chapter, memories will be italics! Okay, on with the story:

After finally catching their breath the assistant answered, "He wants you to try and fix everything."

The doctor took a deep breath before speaking, "Alright, then let's get to work."

Meanwhile, Owen was back at the waiting room, once again wondering if he made the right choice. He just sat there with his head in his hands for a few moments before sitting back in the chair, hitting his head on the wall behind him as he did so. He didn't have the motivation to move or even react, he just kept thinking about how he could have prevented all of this. He couldn't help but think that if he hadn't gotten upset and hurt her earlier the previous day it all would've been different. His mind slowly slipped into memories that were further back in time and quite a bit less depressing. The first memory to make itself present in his mind as a whole was when he first found out he was gonna be a Dad. 

He had already gone back overseas again when he got an unexpected call from his wife, he could immediately tell something was off. 

"Owen?" Her voice came from the other side of the line.

"Yeah?" Owen said realizing the unusual tone in her voice.

"Um, there's something I need to tell you," She continued.

"Okay."

"You might wanna sit down."

He did.

"I went to the doctor earlier today and-," Her voice trailed off.

"And what? Are you okay?" Owen asked, getting slightly nervous.

"Yeah I'm fine, it's just that, well, I'm, uh, I'm pregnant," She finally said.

Time seemed to stop, he froze, slightly wide-eyed. 

"Owen?"

"Yeah," Owen said slowly.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Owen said slowly again.

Finally, his mind snapped back to modern time. 

 "Are you sure?" Owen asked.

"Yeah, there's really no doubt about it."

There were a few moments of silence before he spoke again, "Can I call you back later?"

"Sure."

After that, he hung up and still just sat there, slightly dumbfounded. Then he randomly started laughing, there were a few people in the same room who had been looking at him curiously for the last minute or so who now wondered if he had lost his mind. 

"I'M GONNA BE A DAD!" Owen suddenly shouted throwing his hands up in the air, looking back he wondered why he had done it but in the moment it was the only thing he could think to do.

Over the next 8 months he got constant updates, she had already been at almost a month when they found out so she was getting close to her due date. Due to a mission, Owen hadn't been there when she was born, he didn't even know she had been born for almost 2 weeks. Once he got back from the mission he had called her. They had been talking for a minute when he heard crying in the background. They had decided not to find out the gender but had decided on names for if it was a boy or girl. 

"I'll be right back," His wife had said.

"Okay."

It took his mind a moment to put two and two together. 

"Owen?"

"Yeah?" Owen said in a shaky voice.

"We have a daughter."

He laughed a little, cried a little.

He got to meet her a few days later.

Those were memories he knew he would treasure as long as he was alive. But his mind went to a different memory.

(Y/N) was already 4 and Owen hadn't been able to come back home in almost a year. Sure they could have phone calls but it wasn't the same.

"Hi Daddy!" (Y/N) little voice called through the phone.

"Hi sweetheart. Are you being good?" 

"Yes! Are you coming home soon?" 

"I hope so, can I talk to Mommy for a little bit please?" 

She gave the phone to her mother.

"How is she doing?" Owen asked.

"Good, she misses you but we're going to a friend's for Christmas, hopefully, that'll take her mind off of it for a while."

They talked for a little longer before hanging up. Somehow he managed to get home for Christmas that year but kept it a secret from (Y/N). He got there later in the afternoon and they were still at one of their friends house so he made his way there. (Y/N) was playing with the older dog that the friends had on the floor when he got there, the adults sitting at the table noticed him but (Y/N) had her back turned to him. He put a finger to his lips and they went back to their conversation but watched him as he snuck up behind (Y/N). He knelt down off to the side behind her, her hair was tucked behind her ear, and knocked it down in front of her face. She pushed it back behind her ear before turning to see who was messing with her now. 

"DADDY!!" She screamed.

She quickly hugged him, almost knocking him over in the process. 

His mind was suddenly shaken from its memories.

"Mr. Grady."

He had never fallen asleep but it took him a moment to get back to reality. When he finally did he saw the doctor standing in front of him with a tired expression.