CH 99. Surviving

A/N: Hello my lovely Lovies!

I know I kind of disappeared for a while, a lot was going on and I just needed to take a break for my own sanity. This chapter is probably about 3/4 of what I wanted to put out, but I will be sure to tie in the next part to answer any question that may be left open after reading this. Please excuse any mistakes as editing was done a bit rushed.

Now lets dive in! Grab a drink (I sipped on some chocolate oat milk this week) and a snack (Pretzels have been my go to lately) and I'll be with you in the comments!!!

~Elodie's POV~

Accommodation is a funny thing. While I'd been expecting to be locked in the dungeon, or in a room with protective wards on all the doors and windows, I was in fact treated as a house guest. The Malfoy's had one of their house elves fix a room for me, fitted with silk black and silver linens I had only ever seen in pictures of magazines. It all seemed over the top, only, it didn't stop there.

"Teely!" Lucious summoned the house elf before receiving a look from Narcissa to leave the room.

"You don't need to yell at them," I said, defending the house elf as she apparated in with a set of throw pillows to finish the bed spread.

He let out a "Humf" sound and left the room, his cane clicking the entire way down the corridor. Narcissa stepped closer, just short of me as I flinched away.

"It's alright," She said and helped me out of the ill-fitting jumper. "Teely, run our guest a bath. Use the required potion to help with these," She said as her fingers brushed against the bruises I had on my arms and shoulders. "I'll send out Deeney to bring you fresh clothes."

There was something about her that seemed different. I hadn't been alone enough with her to ask her why she was doing so much for me. Even so, in a house like this, the walls were surely listening.

None of it felt real, it was like I was watching someone else. Surely there had to have been some sort of catch to it all. If I used the wrong fork or if I didn't sit properly it would be enough for them to take it all away. I sank my head under the water of the bath, looking up at the painter white ceiling, cracking by the way the light was shining on the water.

There I found the way that sounds were distorted. The walls suddenly became thinner, making it easier to listen to the footsteps on the marble tile down stairs. The muffled discussion of a man and wife. The cackling of a sister in law, ruling a house she'd intruded upon.

Under the water, when I shut my eyes, I was able to be miles and miles away. Back where I belonged, in my own bed, listening to the blackbirds song. Played just for me, and the only one I wanted to share it with. No longer living my life as if I were an intruder looking in.

"-iss?" I heard a soft muffled voice speak closer to me than the rest. I sat up, breathing in fresh air that nearly left a terrible taste in my mouth as it was interlaced with the strong scent of tea tree and peppermint. "Is miss quite well?" Teely asked, giving me a concerned look.

"Yes, yes I just wanted to get my hair," I said, playing it off. "I'm-"

"Miss Elodie Potter," She said, moving closer and placing a few drops of Dittany into a pitcher of warm water. "House elves still remember the greatness of the Potter name. Especially what the young Harry Potter did for our Dobby. May I?" She asked, lifting the pitcher with a snap of her finger and gesturing to my shoulder.

"You don't have to call me miss. Just Elodie is fine," I said, moving forward, wrapping my arms around my knees to cover myself as much as possible.