CH 9. The First Truth

~Elodie's POV~

    I had been doing an extraordinary job at keeping up in all of my lessons. It astonished me a bit actually. The only problem class I had was Divination. Since I hadn't studied it last term I was in the same class as Harry, Ron, and Hermione, whom much to my surprise was in a similar situation as I was.
    Unfortunately, this also meant I was in the same class as Draco Nose-in-the-air Malfoy. We hadn't spoken since the express ride to the castle, and when we were the last two that entered the class on the first day, Professor Trelawney stuck us together.

***First day of class***

    I looked a few tables down as Harry and Ron gave me an apologetic look. If they had known I was going to be in this class, they would have saved me a seat instead of letting me end up with Draco.
    "It's okay," I mouthed to them reassuring them I would be okay besides, they knew I was more than capable of holding my own. We had been instructed to swirl tea leaves, as that's where we were going to begin.
    "Welcome, my children," Professor Trelawney began. "In this room, you shall explore the mysterious art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess the Sight..." She was disrupted when she bumped into her own table. "I am Professor Trelawney. Together, we shall cast ourselves into the future. But know this. One either has the Gift or not. It cannot be divined from the pages of a book. Books only cloud one's Inner Eye."
    "This woman is absolutely wonky," I said under my breath as I turned to get my book out of my bag.
    "Broaden your minds, my dears. And allow your eyes to see... beyond!" She said as if she was a musician using the entire classroom as her stage.
    "You can say that again," Draco said, holding the same facial expression as me.
    Then it was as if someone shot an arrow right at Neville as Trelawney zoned in on him. "You, boy! Is your grandmother well?" She nearly shouted at him.
    "I... I think so." Neville said to her. Which she replied to with a grave look as if to tell him he better send an owl the moment classes are dismissed.
    The very first day of classes and she was already terrified for Harry's safety. Sweet merlin, why couldn't I have a normal brother?
    "Unfortunately, classes will be disrupted in February by a nasty bout of flu. I myself will lose my voice," She went on as she circled the room trying to play off that Harry's tea leaves had given him 'The Grim'.
    She got to Draco and me at this point. After looking at his teacup that was in front of me, she lifted her hand to stroke his hair and said, "Hmmm dear boy, sweet boy," and then she lifted my cup that was in front of him. "What does her cup say?" she asked Draco who began flipping through his text.
    "She's a Potter, probably the same as Harry's," Someone said from across the room.
    "Piss off," I could hear Ron say.
    "My dear girl, it is not the Grim you possess." She said and put the cup down for me to see. "No, you must look inside, as your power grows with an echo of change but have caution, for it is not only the power of sight you possess," She gave me a look as if she was shocked I didn't see what she saw in the leaves.
"Echo! Echo! Echo," Someone said behind me.
    "Right then, how about you dear?" She said as she moved onto someone else.

***

​    Still focusing on tea leaves and I absolutely wished I was able to apparate out of this class. I wasn't able to do a     "Proper" reading no matter how much Professor Trelawney encouraged me, Draco was useless, and even Hermione was ready to drop the class saying she saw it as an unnecessary skill.
​    "It looks like a butterfly," Draco told me as he kept swishing the teacup round and round.
​    I put my hand over the cup and guided it back to the table. "You're not supposed to swirl my cup, something about it throwing off the energies," I told him as I kept reading through the text.
​    "So then should I pour it back in? It can't be good anymore," He asked me lost himself.
​    "No, it's not like drinking tea. I don't think it works like that," I told him.
​    He lifted the lid off of the tea pot and sniffed the inside for some strange reason. "Not a bad aroma at least," he said. When he lifted his head and looked at me, it appeared that he had really stuck his nose in there. He had a few dried tea leaves on the tip of his nose. I chuckled softly, and a slight smile cracked on his usually hard complexion. "What?" he asked.
​    I looked up from my book and told him, "You got something right here," I gestured to my own nose as I told him.
​With the back of his robe he wiped his face, but a few still lingered on his cheek. "Did I get it?" he asked me.
​    "No, here," I reached for his face and picked off the few pieces that were left there, one of them being on the corner of his mouth. As I pinched the tealeaf, we locked eyes for a moment. It was strange, how much you can see into someone by simply looking into their window.
​    "Right, thank you," He told me kindly.
​    Strange. Just yesterday Harry was telling me something vile that Draco had said to him, but when it comes to me, he's like a butterfly.
​    Professor Trelawney was with Harry and Ron going on and on about their cups and how the ones they chose said something about them as people. Very subtly, Draco moved his chair closer to me and leaned in a bit.
​    "So, can I ask you something? Why did you decide to take this class? You're not very good at it," He asked me.
​    "Yes, you may, McGonagall suggested it, and you're not particularly top of the class either, now are you?" I answered him in an unphased tone of voice as my eyes were still glued to my book. I was scanning over the words over and over again, but I wasn't actually reading what they said.
​    He scoffed under his breath slightly. I finally looked up from my book and saw he was shaking his head, but he had a smile on his face.
​    "I mean why did you take this class? See yourself pursuing a career in Divination? That doesn't sound like the Draco I've heard of," I told him as I smiled back. His face fell slightly as I realized the way I had finished my statement, could mean something terribly bad.
​    "No, but I supposed the Malfoy you've heard of is a right foul git. Isn't that right?" he told me, sounding as if he was getting angrier with every word he spoke.
​    I shook my head at him and said, "Now I won't speak about Malfoy, but Draco, no I see you doing something much grander."
​    "What's the difference?" he asked me, nearly spitting the words at me.
​    "Cause, I've never met the Malfoy people speak so coldly about, I've only met Draco," I explained to him. I turned to look at him and he seemed a bit shocked, I didn't think I said anything too unreasonable.
​    "Have you realized you're one of the few people that doesn't solely call me Malfoy?" he asked me.
​    "Oy, you pair are in quite a chatty mood today aint you?" I heard Pansy Parkinson say from her table not too far from us. She must have been listening closely, because I know we weren't talking in more than a hushed tone.
​Draco just smiled at me and shook his head. "Ignore her, I usually do," He told me.
​    "Now Draco, that's no way to treat your girlfriend. You should give her more attention, would you like me to move seats with her?" I told him a bit louder so she and some of the Slytherins around us could hear.
​He looked at mean in disbelief, like he was surprised I would say anything. "You are something else Potter, I'll give you that."
​    "Oh, it's Potter now is it?" I told him laughing a bit. "You know you can be very sweet sometimes Draco, and then..." I spoke softer, but I lost my words.
​    We were quiet for what felt like an eternity, but in reality, it was only a few seconds. "I know," He said under his breath. I looked up at him and realized he had been staring at my face the entire time.
​    The sound of glass breaking pulled me out of my hypnosis. I looked over to see none other than Ron reaching over the table as if he had tried to catch the glass before it fell. I also saw Harry, staring daggers at Draco and I.
​"Right, well children that will be all for today," Professor Trelawney said. "Remember to work on your eye-opening meditations and breathing into the beyond!" She said louder as people were bolting out of class.
​    I turned to my bag and saw that Draco was still looking at me, I gave him a smile then focused my attention back to fitting my book in my bad.
​    "Draco, are you coming?" Goyle said as his friends began to walk away.
​    "Yeah," He said and immediately arose and walked out the room.
​    I took advantage of the cleared room to speak with Professor Trelawney. I walked over and crouched down to help her pick up the large pieces of glass on the rug.
​    "Oh, dear girl, thank you," She told me.
​    "Professor, I was wondering if I could have a moment of your time?" I asked her as we both stood straight.
​    "I have a few moments before my next lesson. You would like to ask me why it is that you're doing everything we speak about in class but yet you struggle? Yes?" she told me as she looked behind me. When she turned to walk to her shelf, I did a quick spin to make sure no one else was here and she was in fact talking to me.
​    "Yeah," I breathed.
​    "Dear girl, your aura is clouded," She told me. She set a jar down on her table and grabbed my palm. "Yes, see here, you do possess the spirit for divination, but there has been a block placed on your life that clouds you," She said. She closed my hand and gave me a smile as if she had answered all of my questions.
​    "Sorry professor, I don't quite understand," I told her.
​    "Tell me dear, have you had any visions you couldn't explain? Strange feelings?" She asked me.
​    "Not that I can say," I told her. She sat at her table and reached out her hand for me to join her, but she didn't release my hand. She looked at me as if she was trying to use my eyes to see what I have seen.
​    "How's about we try something, yes?" She asked me. I nodded at her and let my bag slide off my shoulder.
​    "Right, now this is not exactly a reading. Just want to take a peak at what we're dealing with. Now, drink this," She told me as she pushed a cup of tea towards me.
    I took a sip of the poor excuse for tea. It wasn't the same as we had been using for leaf reading. No, this tasted foul, as if something had gone rancid. I made a face drinking it, due to the sheer disgust.
    "Not very easy on the tongue, I apologize." She told me as she pulled the cup away. "Right, here we go."
    She took both my hands in hers and I felt her go stiff. It was as if someone had turned on the electricity beneath her chair. Her eyes went wide filling up her fishbowl glasses, like if she was watching a disaster too terrible to look away from. I heard little whimpers escape her throat, but nothing audible accompanied it. I didn't know what to do, and then her grip on my hands tightened.
     I pulled my hands away and began rubbing them, feeling as if she was going to break my fingers. I looked at her and she hadn't moved, other than her arms now being flat on the table.
    "P-Professor?" I felt my voice tremble as I spoke.
    Suddenly a shriek that sounded like that of a banshee escaped deep in her throat, and she slumped over the table.
    "Professor?" I asked again. She didn't respond, so I touched her arm and shook her a bit. "Professor Trelawney?" I asked again, touching her hand.
    Just as suddenly as before, she sat back in her seat and looked me dead in the eye with the same clouded eyes I had experienced when I encountered Professor Lupin.
     "A child to a surname that will never belong. A family that believes a false truth. Dark magic laid to rest. Most powerful there will ever be. Memories that have so long been erased. ''Tis the truth that will awaken the soul set to be the unraveling of all" Professor Trelawney spoke uninterested in a hollow sounding voice.
    I stood from my seat and the chair behind me fell to the ground. That noise that followed was enough to pull Professor Trelawney out of her trance. Her body relaxed and she began coughing to clear her throat.
    "Do forgive me my dear. Where were we?" She asked me.
    "Th-The tea," I told her, not sure what to make of what I had just witnessed.
​    "Very well. We'll need to clean your mind up a bit." She handed me the jar of tea leaves she had grabbed from the shelf earlier, "Three times a day, for the next three days. That should do the trick" She told me.
​    "Th-Thank you, professor," I told her, snatching the jar and turning to leave the class before anything else happened