CH 28. A New Defense

~Elodie's POV~

After last term, Minerva, and Dumbledore, while impressed with my academic achievements realized that I was getting a bit too far ahead. They said I was closer to being a level further in some classes, while still at an average level in others. The good news was that from now until I'd be finished with school, I'd always be able to have two free periods, or I could fill them with classes and try to test out a term earlier.

Since I still was unsure of what I wanted to do for a career path I voted for the lesser. But knowing that the free time on my hands would drive me crazy and get me into trouble, Minerva voted for the latter. I mean what's the point in being slightly psychic if I can't even see what I'm going to spend my life doing?

The bright side meant that I was able to take more classes with my friends, but the downside was almost as much homework as last term. I walked into Defense against the dark arts with Angelina, who was excited to finally be in the same class with me. Though neither of us were too fond of Madeye moody. We sat in the middle grouping of desks, while Fred and George sat diagonal in front of us.

"So, don't hate me, but I may have mentioned to Fred that you have a sweet spot for him, but mainly for George," I told her in the smallest of whispers.

"And?" She asked me very excitedly.

"Well he said that he sees you more as a friend, but George may or may not reciprocate that sweet spot," I told her and gave her arm a gentle squeeze.

"Well, we can't all have ten boys chasing after us at the same time," She told me jokingly.

"Come on Angi, that's not funny," I told her.

"Are you ever going to tell us how it was?" Alicia asked, turned in her seat, wiggling her eyebrows.

​The class was brought to attention when Madeye emerged from his office and just stared at everyone. I felt a slight headache coming on, so I pulled my hair back away from my face and into a high ponytail, exposing the faded scare on my temple.

"I'm Alastor Moody, ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," He said and turned to write his name on the chalk board behind him. His glass eye silently scanned over everyone in the room, as if it were making notes of everyone. It landed on me and lingered for a moment longer than I cared for it to.

Not him...

The hissing noise returned. I looked around but didn't see anyone close enough to be whispering in my ear, other than Angelina, but I hadn't mentioned it to her. I hadn't mentioned it to anyone since the night of the world cup.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach. You may wonder what I mean by that, I'll show you. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?" He asked, and the room remained silent.

"There's three of them, Sir," Angelina answered beside me, leaning back into her seat more.

"Does anyone know why they are so named?" He asked turning his back on the room, once again having gone silent.

"Because they're unforgivable." I said, my discomfort clearly audible in my voice. "The use of any one of them..."

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct. Now, the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different. You need to know what you're doing. You need to know what you're up against. You need to be prepared," He said and turned back to face us.

I looked over to Fred and George who both had their hands clenched into fists. Surly they knew too well about the curses from their fathers work at the ministry.