Chapter 37

"Kai?"

"Hmm?"

"Max called me earlier today." I give him a you-know-what-I'm-talking-about look.

He stays still for a moment before looking at me. "I said I'll think about but I don't think I can go."

We're sitting on the couch; he's reading a book while I'm working on another bid proposal. We went home together after the briefing at around 7ish. I had to give him my keys and asked him to wait for me inside my car while I'm fixing my things in my office.

Up until now, I still don't know what to say. I don't want to meddle in his relationship with his ex-girlfriend's mom. As much as I want to react badly to how Max confidently said she already bought 3 tickets as if she's so sure that he's coming with them, I can't because I'm not fighting over what her sick mother wants. I'll always have a soft heart for every mother and grandmother because they're the ones who raised me as well.

"Max told Aunt Sylvia we got back together that's why she suddenly thought of going on vacation with us."

"What?" I say, frowning.

He closes his book. "I'll go to the hospital tomorrow to say the real deal between me and Max."

"Wouldn't she be crushed?" I hesitantly ask.

"I visit her regularly even though we've broken up, there's no need to lie."

"Why would Max say that if her mom is okay with you not rekindling your past?"

He shrugs. "I have no idea."

"Does she still have feelings for you?" This may sound like I'm childish but whatever. I don't care. Just this one. I want to know if Max is still madly in love with him. That will give me a reason to think she's doing all this to win him back.

"What she feels about me is not important. I don't give a damn about it. I only care for how you feel." He places the book on the coffee table. "Why? Would you be jealous if Max confesses her feelings for me?" He asks with a triumphant smirk.

"Ha-ha! I'm not jealous. That's not being jealous, that's me being territorial, because you are mine, right? I hate having to share what's supposed to be mine, but if you want to flirt with your ex, go. There's no one stopping you." I defensively answer.

He grins. "I didn't say you're jealous now." He scoots closer to me. "You know, you look hot when you're feisty like that." He seductively says as he moves my laptop to the coffee table.

"What do you think you're doing?" I annoyingly ask—my defense mechanism when something I like's bound to happen but won't admit I like it because I'm too embarrassed.

In an instant, he's suddenly on top of me, with my back lying on the couch.

He pecks me on my forehead, my nose, my lips, both of my cheeks, and down to my neck.

"Hahaha! Stop it!" I'm trying to push him but he caught both of my hands and pins them on my sides. "Kai! Noooo! Hahaha!"

"Hahahaha! I'm just kissing you. Hmm." He says as he playfully kisses me on my neck again.

"Haha—Kai! Hahaha!" I'm trying to remove his grip on mine but he's too strong.

I stop laughing and breathe heavily. Gosh. This is so exhausting.

He turns to me and stares straight into my eyes. "I love you, Madison." He says in a raspy voice that turns me on.

"I love you too," I mutter.

He slowly moves his face closer to mine and kisses me on my lips passionately. The flutter only intensifies every time we do this; the way his smooth lips pressed on mine never fails to make my heart skip a beat and my knees give in. My whole body tingled at the feel of his frame leaning on me.