Chapter 49

Please play the linked music as you read this chapter. It's XO by John Mayer.

〰️

"I would like to thank the team behind this beautiful campaign, headed by Director Arden Thompson, Executive Produced by Madison Del Valle, and of course, the whole of Empire Entertainment who took their time to make this advertisement promising." Pure Pacific CEO Anton Lindon says as the crowd gives him a round of applause.

I only spoke to Anton twice, when we were coming to terms with the production of their Ad. I think he's in his mid-40s already. The way he walks speaks, and reacts tells how much of a businessman he is. He's more like Arden, but older.

I see Kai leans forward through my peripheral vision. "Congratulations." I feel his breath on my skin as he mumbles the word.

We're standing across from each other at the cocktail table beautifully wrapped in off-white-colored fabric with candlelit on top and a rose placed in an empty glass bottle. Le Olé Hall is an events place dedicated to catering the super-rich. It's a one-story building with floor-to-ceiling windows, chandeliers, and expensive plants scattered around the place.

There's a small stage at the center with a huge projector at the back, a few cocktail tables in front, plenty of rounded tables at the back for when the guests are having their meals, and an extra-long table for the VVIPs. I've done so many Ads for international companies but this is the first time I've seen something like this. Pure Pacific is so dedicated to making this campaign the talk of the town.

I genuinely smile at him. "We wouldn't have done it without you."

"Of course, this campaign won't be possible without the presence of our new ambassador, Mr. Kai Carter. Thank you very much for considering this partnership and for bringing our imagination into reality. To everyone who attended this very special and momentous event, please enjoy the rest of the night. Cheers!" CEO Anton Lindon continues as Kai Carter's key visuals shot in Paradise Island are flashing on the projector.

We raise our glass of champagne and cheer in unison.

Indeed, this event's being attended by a few media personalities and a lot of social media influencers, including Max Montgomery. I walked past her earlier. I didn't bother greeting her because we were not friends in the first place, so why would I, right? I don't know if Kai has seen her already or if he's aware that she's here. We no longer talk about that wench.

"Hello! Good evening, everyone." Margot's standing behind the microphone onstage now. "Before we start the party, I would also like to take this opportunity to call over our Golden Prince, Kai Carter to give us a few words as you all know, this might be the last time we're going to see him in events like this. Kai?" Margot eyes Kai going up on the stage.

"Tsk. This isn't planned." Kai says, putting down his glass on the table before marching to the stage.

"Please welcome, Kai Carter!" Margot roars follow by the cheering of the crowd. She steps down from the platform and stands beside the cocktail table just in front of me.

"Uhh, I'm actually not prepared to give a speech." He laughs. "Uhm, I would like to thank Pure Pacific for welcoming me so warmly into their family. Shooting for the campaign was such a great experience and I had fun. Second, thank you to my home agency, Royals & Co. for taking care of me throughout the years. Like what Margot said, this might be the last time you see me do this but I'm just gonna be on the sidelines minding my own business." Kai chuckles as everybody. "Lastly, I want to take this chance to thank the woman who stood by me and is loving me so dearly. This one is for you." He goes to the band beside the stage who are singing with their instruments earlier. He points to the guitar hanging on the main vocalist's shoulder.

After a few seconds, Kai's back on stage with a guitar in his hand. "Again, this song is for my beloved girlfriend, Madison Del Valle."

Kai starts strumming the guitar with his eyes fixed on me.

I can't believe this is happening. It feels like I'm in a fairytale movie or a romance book.

Your love is bright as ever
Even in the shadows
Baby, kiss me
Before they turn the lights out

Kai and I have been together long enough but this is the first time I've seen him singing this seriously.

Your heart is glowing
And I'm crashing into you
Baby, kiss me kiss me
Before they turn the lights out
Baby, love me lights out

I feel a few glances from the crowd, they're probably thinking how lucky I am. Psh. I'm wondering about that too.

In the darkest night
I'll search through the crowd,
Your face is all that I see
I'll give you everything
Baby, love me lights out

I know that Kai sings so I'm not that ecstatic when he does this. After all, he's a package deal in the entertainment industry.

We don't have forever
Baby, daylight's wasting
You better kiss me
Before our time has run out

His voice is so orgasmic and it adds up to his charisma.

This song is amazing as it is but for it to be sung by someone you love is beyond perfection.

Nobody sees what we see
They're just hopelessly gazing
Baby, take me take me
Before they turn the lights out
Before time has run out
Baby, love me lights out

His eyes are still on mine. He won't even flinch or glance at other people even though they're trying to get his attention by shouting his name.

In the darkest night
I'll search through the crowd,
Your face is all that I see
I'll give you everything
Baby, love me lights out
You can turn my lights out

I love you like XO
You love me like XO
You kill me, girl, XO
You love me like XO
All that I see

I still feel bad that I insist on breaking up with him while he's being brave on taking a big step for our relationship to move forward even though he had an awful experience with his ex-fiancé.

Give you everything
Baby, love me lights out
You can turn my lights out

Kai has been so good to me. We've never had a huge argument that we didn't resolve within a day, we rarely fight over the small things, and he's never treated me coldly when we're having a misunderstanding. One thing I've learned from him, you have to be communicative about your thoughts and feelings so you and your partner are always on the same page.

I want to keep him in my life for a long time too. I feel like I won't last long when he flies back to where he desires to be. I might be the one who'll visit him from time to time.

In the darkest night
I'll search through the crowd,
Your face is all that I see
I'll give you everything
Baby, love me lights out
You can turn my lights out

"I love you, Madison." He says after finishing the song.

Everyone applauses after his mini-concert. He strides down the platform and stops in front of me.

"Is there something you cannot do?" I reach for his wrist to feel his warmth.

He places his hand on my nape and passionately brushes his lips against mine.