Chapter 26

"Come again?" I ask, confused by what I have heard.

They look at each other for a brief moment before Milo utters, "I'm dating Ollie for a while now. We don't want to disclose it to anyone until we both know it's real. Mom doesn't know about this either, so don't put it on her."

I laugh dryly. I don't know what to say or how to react. It feels like my brain is in a whirlwind of thoughts. It's too quiet, but I know for a fact mom and I want to burst out, the difference is that she'd erupt in intense happiness. Why wouldn't she?" Her child is dating the child of her best friend for life.

We're having lunch at mom's 8-seater dining table right now. We were supposed to eat in the backyard but the rain suddenly pours. I knew it. Milo made cordon bleu, beef stew, buttered garlic lobsters, and cauliflower rice. I was wondering earlier why did Ollie help him in the kitchen. I mean, Ollie is nice, but not that nice nice. Plus, she never did that before, and she showed no interest in my brother all our lives.

Ollie looks at me with sincerity in her eyes. "I'm sorry for not telling you right away, Madison."

"Of course, You don't want to jinx it..." I mumble. I feel Kai's hand on my thigh under the table, caressing it. Is this his way of comforting me in the midst of a possible argument? Because damn, it's working.

Mom clasps her hand loudly, making us turn in her direction. "Isn't this great news? Both of my children are dating respectable people. It's indeed a great day to celebrate!" She says, looking dearly at us.

"Ha—Haha. Yeah..." Can someone please tell me how to survive such an awkward conversation? I just want to evaporate. Ollie, my dear best friend is dating Milo, my self-proclaimed Casanova brother. I know I've been forcing Ollie to start dating again, but I didn't know she'll end up being with Milo. I know should be happy for her, but I couldn't help but be worried. I'm afraid Milo would only break her heart in the end and I'll feel responsible for that. I don't want my relationship with Ollie to crumble when they broke up.

"Congrats, bro." Kai raises his wine glass for a toast. Is this why Ollie brought a fine wine?

"Thanks, bro. I hope you and my sister last long. She deserves someone who stays." Milo raises his glass as well, making a clinking sound when their glasses meet.

He's probably implying to never leave me unlike what Luis did.

"Does Cecille knows about this?" Mom asks Ollie who's now devouring the food on her plate.

She shakes her head. "Not yet but we're planning to visit her next weekend. You should join us!" She enthusiastically says.

Wow. She seems so happy. She's actually been smiling the whole time.

"I have a lecture next weekend, dear. I'll go to her next time. You know how busy we are right now at the hospital, right?"

Ollie nods. "I understand, Aunt Elise. You can message me anytime so I can drive you there."

Mom waves her hand. "Psh. Don't bother. I'm still good on the road, hija." She says before turning her gaze to me. "Madison, I heard Ham step down from his position. How's it going in the office?"

Oh, did I already mention that Ham and my mother are quite close? Whenever she's coming downtown to visit me, she'd spend time chit-chatting with Ham first before seeing me in my office. I have no idea what are they talking about.

"Yes, Arden Thompson replaced him. He's going to focus on being a good husband. Work is still same-same." I say, even though things are not the same anymore. I feel pressure working with Arden which I never experienced under Ham.

"Arden Thompson?" Kai reiterates.

"Yup. Why?" I say as I take a bite of cordon bleu. In fairness, Milo's getting better at cooking. Is this the new trend now? Are guys more invested in the kitchen these days?

"I have an upcoming project with him and Pure Pacific." He says before taking a gulp of wine, with his eyes fixed on mine.

Shoot. I shut my eyes for a second. I guess the universe has its own way of unraveling things to surprise you. Of course, a big company must hire a big-shot artist to represent them.

〰️

"I'm really sorry, honey. I don't really want to keep this from you, but I also don't want to... you know, jinx it." She nervously laughs.

We're in the living area now, talking one on one, while the guys are in the kitchen, baking cookies. Mom, on the other hand, is still in the dining area, reading a medical book. When is she going to relax?

"I know. I understand. But are you sure about this? I mean, we both know that my brother is..." I give her a he-used-to-do-bad-things-with-girls-and-we-both-witnessed-that look.

"Milo is amazing, Madison! He's been so patient and caring and loving—everything to me. I told him to leave me alone if he's not going to take me seriously because I'm done fucking with people. I'm getting old, we're all getting old." She holds both of my hands. "I won't bother you if things are getting rough between us, okay?"

"Yeah, enough with the drama. It's totally fine. Stop stressing over it. You're such a drama queen!" I say, rolling my eyes heavenwards.

Ollie hastily throws my hands while glaring at me. "When did you become a cold-hearted bitch?"

We both laugh in amusement—that we'd be in this position, getting awkward at first then going back to our crazy selves after talking for a minute.

"I'm happy that you're happy, honey. I mean, I was shocked when I first heard it from Milo but then I realized it's useless to throw a fit because you're glowing from too much happiness—and that's what matters the most." I sincerely say while staring into her eyes.

"Really? I'm really glowing? Does it mean I no longer need to take my glass skin regime?"

I shoot her daggers. When are we going to have a serious conversation? Like, 100% serious the whole time?

"Kidding! Anyway, how are you and mister bb?"

"What?" I grimace. What the hell is mister bb?

"Why? It's a cute endearment for your boyfriend. I wanted to call Milo that, but he doesn't like endearments. So..."

"Honey, it's annoying and gross!" I hiss. I never called someone special babe, baby, or any other call sign you could name your boyfriend.

"Here's your chunky chocolate cookie, ladies." Milo places a plate with a mountain of chocolate cookies on the coffee table.

"And a cup of fresh milk to pair with," Kai adds, putting the glasses beside the plate.

Then Milo sits beside Ollie while Kai perches beside me. Woah, this feels like a photoshoot for a sitcom—four people sitting on a sofa with a plate of cookies and a glass of milk in front of them.

"That was fast. Are you guys sure it's well-baked?" Ollie fizzles.

"I prepared the dough last night. All we had to do is scoop and throw it in the oven."

Wow. So, Milo prepared it after I told him to bake it for me? This sweet little creature. We might hate each other at times, but he sure cares about me as an older sister.

I grab a piece and inspect it—it's golden brown and smells buttery, the edges look crispy while the inner part seems soft and dewy, and the best part is... chocolate chips are melting from inside. Wow. It's been a while since I last had a freshly baked cookie. I'm crying inside.