Chapter 10

The sun is already up when we halt in front of a port where small boats and yachts are stationed.

I wasn't able to sleep on our way here—it's not comfortable to sit at the back of the van. Kai didn't talk to me throughout the ride and it's freaking 2 and a half hours away from Casa Luna. Are we still even on Paradise Island?

"We're here!" Our driver shouts—waking up the sleeping passengers.

I can clearly see Max Montgomery from my seat. She's been talking to the woman beside her—who also happens to be the person that hits my surfboard a day ago. What scheme they are trying to pull?

"Are you okay?" I ask Kai, in a very low tone of voice.

He beams and turns his face in my direction. "Why wouldn't I be?" He whispers into my ear—his face is so close to mine.

I shoot him an isn't-it-obvious look. "Duh?"

He peers at Max's place, too quickly you'd only notice it if you're paying too much attention to his reactions. "Madie, don't give me that look."

"Do you even know the meaning of that look?" I exasperatingly say. Let's see if we've already built our Kai-Madie telepathy.

"It's the woman you asked to marry you but turned you down is here, don't tell me you're unbothered by her presence look, right?" He winks.

The driver opens the back door since we cannot unlock it from the inside.

The moment we jump out of the van, the heat from the sun instantly touches our skin. I scrabble my hand inside my eco-bag to get my sunglasses. The sky is too bright, I couldn't even open my eyes properly.

Kai removes his parka jacket—which reveals his white shirt underneath, making his broad shoulders visible—puts it in his duffle bag, and wears his sunglasses.

"Hi everyone!" A shirtless, petite, and tanned guy greets us. He's holding a piece of paper and a ball pen. "Welcome to La Luna Port. Before we leave, I need you to write down your name, age, and gender here." He raises the paper to his eye level. "This is a requirement from our NAVY. You can't go in the yacht and travel to Tagoan Lagoon if you didn't sign up, okay?" He places it on the empty military table beside him.

I look at the inside of the eco-bag to find my sunglasses, but it's not there. Damn.

I close my eyes to backtrack on what I did before leaving my room. I placed it on the coffee table together with my wireless power bank. I placed it there so I can easily get it but I still end up forgetting it anyway.

I irritatingly remove my jacket. I hate this forgetful ass of mine. I think I need to consult a doctor because it's getting worst.

Kai glances at me. He's on the line to write down our names and I'm a few steps away from him. "Hey, what's wrong?" He mouths.

I walk towards his position. "Nothing."

"It's not a nothing face."

"I forgot my sunglasses." I roll my eyes. "It's freaking hot today." I pout. I sound and look like a toddler who's throwing a tantrum, but I don't care. I just hate it when I unconsciously forget something essential.

I grab my phone and head straight to Notes. I type down:

Don't forget to ask mom for doctor recommendations on who can cure my aging brain cells.

I'm about to put my phone back inside the eco-bag when Kai grabs my wrist, turning me in front of him. "Why?" I ask.

He slowly removes his sunglasses and puts them in me. "Stop being such a baby."