Chapter 44

"Thank you," I say as Kai helps me sit properly on the chair. "Uhh.." I groan when I feel a pang of pain as I steadily move my foot.

Kai held me while walking towards La Mari. Our table is on the second floor so it was a bit of a hassle plus people are assessing our situation. Is it their first time seeing a woman with a broken ankle? Jeez. Kai has been telling me to stay in my room so I can rest my foot properly but I refused. My outfit would be a waste if I go back.

He sits beside me. "I'll be here in case you become clumsy again."

I don't know if he's serious or he's just teasing me.

"Hi. Welcome to La Mari. Are you with Ms. Katie?" A waitress pops in front of us, handing us both a menu.

"Yes,"

"Would you like to order first?"

"No, no. We'll wait for the others. They'll be here in a while." I say.

"Alright! I'll be back. Thank you." She enthusiastically says before disappearing in front of us.

I start scanning the menu. Hmm. What should I have for dinner? Pasta? I need to eat lightly since I could use a bottle of wine tonight. Yes. A bottle.

"Who was that?"

Shit.

I almost fell off my seat. I need to cut down on my coffee. I'm getting too jumpy these days.

I frown. "Sorry?"

"Never mind." He says, looking away. "Where is everyone? Margot said to be here at eight." He irritatingly says to no one in particular.

I shrug. "Why? Are you starvi—"

"No, I want to rest." He coldly replies.

This is the first time he cut me off. Is he that mad at me?

He gets his phone from his pocket and starts scrolling through his contacts. He's probably going to message Margot.

She should be the first one to be here since this is her idea but she's nowhere to be found. My God, Margot.

...

...

...

Damn it. I can't concentrate. All I could think of if Kai right beside me and how loud this silence between us is that it makes my eardrums hurt.

I look around the area. Why is the second floor empty? Did Katie have the whole place reserved exclusively for us?

"I'll just go to the comfort room." I stand up and head downstairs. I feel that Kai's staring at me but I don't want to look back at him. I don't want to be a masochist who likes hurting herself. Seeing him and being with him like this is enough.

"Mad? Can we talk?"

"Ow, shiii—" I gasp.

People have gotta stop appearing out of nowhere! I've been cursing and frowning the whole day.

It's Luis again. He's standing right beside the staircase.

"Does it look like I'm in the mood to talk?" I sarcastically say. He's getting on my nerves.

"Please? I've been wanting to go there to talk to you but I don't want to ruin your night with Kai Carter." He says, looking melancholic.

It's been so long since the last time I've seen him and it feels unfamiliar to be conversing with him right now. It's as if we've never been in a relationship and never shared unforgettable (which by now, I no longer remember) memories.