Chapter 15

1 MONTH LATER

"Happy Birthday, mom!" I joyfully greet her before kissing her cheeks. "You're looking radiant and extra beautiful today."

"I owe it to you for handling every mundane detail to make this day wonderful!" She exclaims while clasping her hands.

"Well, I'm glad you liked it." I start walking towards the kitchen. "Go ahead and have fun with your guests, I'm just gonna fix this," I say, shooing her away.

I place the box on the kitchen counter. It's a caramel cake from Flourist Café, mom's favorite hangout place with her Amigas. 

a month ago, I went to Downtown Medical Hospital to surprise visit mom, and when I arrived, she immediately canceled her next meeting with the management, saying I haven't seen my unica hija in a long so spare me this time. She's really badass at times. We spent the day at her office, talking about my life, and the issues surfacing online, of course, she even asked about Kai, but I refused to give any more details, especially the kiss, and her upcoming birthday celebration. She told me the kind of theme she likes, what caterer to hire, where to buy a cake, where to get fresh flowers, and who to invite.

After 2 hours of talking and writing down her requests, I decided to meet Ollie for a quick catch-up. She kept on insisting Kai and I should be together and that I should have stayed on the island to be with him. She's such a bad influence when it comes to life choices, but she's good for my soul. I told her to focus on her own love life so she won't age alone. It's been 8 years since the last time she commits herself to someone.

"Congratulations on pulling this off. Mom's so happy to share this special day with the family."

I look up to see a petite tall guy with medium-length hair and porcelain skin standing on the other side of the counter. He's smiling from ear to ear.

I raise an eyebrow. "Thanks for your help too." I sarcastically say.

It's my brother Milo. He's 5 years younger than me. He's a prosecutor who wants to be a Judge in the future. He's the epitome of genius and cool at the same time, that's why girls are head over heels for him.

I remember one time while I was on my way home, a redhead woman blocked my way and grabbed my hair, accusing me of being a relationship wrecker for living with his boyfriend.

I laughed so hard when I heard that then I told her, I think Milo will really break up with you when he knows his girlfriend is harassing his sister!

At first, she didn't believe me, so I showed him our family portrait on my phone, she then apologized and begged me to don't say anything to Milo. I really have no plans on doing so, but then one time I randomly remembered it and mentioned it to him. I don't know what Milo did, but I really can't afford to have a paranoid sister-in-law.

I open the box and put on the candles on top of Happy 18th Birthday Elise in cursive lettering. Mom reminded me to make sure it's 18, not 60 because, from this day forward, she's always 18. She's childish like that.

"I'm sorry. I was really busy for the past weeks with this case I'm handling. It's such a headache." He opens the refrigerator door and grabs a can of soda.

"Yeah, yeah, focus on your career and make your momma proud," I mutter. I asked Milo a week ago if he can help me with the preparations—even sending out invitations for mom's friends—but the halfwit declined, saying he was busy and that I can do everything myself.

"Hey, I assisted the suppliers when they came here because you were late." He teases before walking towards the living room.

Psh. I bet mom asked him to do that. I hate him. Yup, up until now, we still fight like Tom and Gerry.

I was supposed to go here at 9 am, but I didn't hear my alarm from my phone so I woke up at 12:30 pm. It's a luncheon gathering so I'm basically late. It was already 3 pm when I arrived because I had to drop by Flourist Café to get the cake. Good thing, it's only a 15-minute drive away from my condo. Mom will blow out the candles later at sunset—another request.

The party is happening in the backyard. It's a bohemian theme. There are wooden short-leg tables and pillows on the grass—for the comfort of the guests. There are fairy lights hanging on the trees as well as dream catchers, and flowers are thoroughly arranged in small glass vases and placed on top of the tables. There's a projector screen (which I rented) that shows mom's favorite tv series. I personally curated the menu to be served today, I asked mom if she can leave this one to me and she said, don't mess it up, honey.

First, I made sure there was a grazing table composed of charcuterie, gouda, brie, cheddar, gruyere, strawberries, green grapes, olives, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, crackers, baguettes, Tuscan loaves, dried apricots, cranberries, cherries, pretzels, cheese sticks, kiwis, passion fruits, edible flowers, garlic hummus, spinach dip, honeycomb, and dijon mustard.

Second, I arranged the menu from appetizers down to desserts. I chose egg and bacon canapés, dilly cucumber bites, mini quiches, vegetable shooters, truffle cream pasta, creamy spinach pizza, pork barbecue, jalapeño lime drumsticks, grilled shrimp salad, steak fajitas, baked ham with orange sherry sauce, grilled spicy sausages, ginger sherry pork chops, wagyu cubes skewers, grilled salmon, fresh blackberry sherbet, lime pie, and strawberries and whipped cream.

As for the drinks, I booked a mobile bar and ordered rosemary watermelon lemonade vodka, a tropical mermaid cocktail, pineapple rose sangria, cider rum punch, mango margarita frosties for the ladies, and bottles of beer for the gentlemen.

Our backyard is big enough to cater to 40 people. Mom invited her colleagues and bosses, Amigas aka best friends for life together with their children, our relatives; mom's sisters, my cousins, and some of her beloved patients.

I asked mom if she wanted a small stage where we can put a small couch with a huge Elise at 18 letterings at the back, but she refused for it will be unnecessary since she wants to meddle and get along with everyone throughout the day.

"Madie!" Aunt Cecille welcomes me with a tight hug when I sit beside her. "I haven't seen you in a while, hija." 

"She's busy with her new love life. Let her be." Says Ollie who's currently devouring bountiful food on her plate. 

I scoff. It looks like she didn't eat for a week!

"Oh, I've been wanting to hear the whole story!" Aunt Cecille excitedly says. She really is like a mom; they both meddle with their children's affairs. 

Ugh. Aren't we done yet with that issue? It's already been a month. Also, I haven't heard from Kai since I left the island. I didn't bother to message him. Besides, I have nothing important to say, so why would I? 

I bet my relatives would also ask about it. I better get inside the house after talking to Aunt Cecille. Milo is much more tolerable at this time than my cousins asking me questions about Kai. 

Author's Note ☽

Hi guys, 

Grabe, I had a hard time with the menu. Phew! I hope you like this one though. Don't forget to cast your vote and comment ♡