Chapter 3

Turns out Kai Carter owns Casa Luna. This story is going to be huge because no one knows he's a businessman. That's right. Businessman.

We're having a little chit-chat right now. I also end up getting their best sellers—veggie and beef wrap, and four seasons. I thought he was only getting my order but he was the one who made everything. Another note—does everybody know he's a great cook?

Instead of sitting at one of the unoccupied tables, I stayed at the counter. He's back on organizing the bar counter after preparing my food—which is so delicious. The panini melts in the mouth, the beef is so tender, and the veggies are so fresh.

"How was it?" He asks without looking at me.

"Ohhh, it's so good!" I answer with my eyes close—devouring the food in my mouth.

"You're welcome."

And then a realization hit me. I hastily open my eyes. "I don't think I ever heard the news about you owning a business in Paradise Island." As someone who works in advertising and media, you won't need to ask for gossip, the gossip will come to you and unleash itself.

He leans over the counter—staring at me, with his—undeniably—beautiful smile. How can someone be this pretty and hot at the same time? "That's because I don't want to disclose it. I want my businesses to earn on their own, not because a public figure owns it."

"Businesses? What else do you own?" Actually, I can't believe I'm having a serious conversation right now with Kai. Well, he looks like a serious type of a person with also a hint of goofiness but only a few (and those who are close to him) can see that. If I were to describe him in three words, they would be: calm, cool, and collected.

"Barcade? 4/11 Cuisine? Butter Bakery? Subtle Suits? Barbercuts? And this?" He answers with an oh-it-was-nothing tone. But holy mother forking shirt balls! He's not just a businessman. He is a businessman. Barcade is a famous nightclub downtown. 4/11 Cuisine is a fine-dining restaurant where you first need to reserve seats a week before. Butter Bakery is a café that serves savory buttered sandwiches. Subtle Suits is known for catering to grooms and groomsmen—Luis had his groom suit done there. Barbercuts is a rising barbershop where you book your appointments via their app. And this...

How did I know all that? Because I've been there before! His businesses are actually making names and earning money even without his face and name attached to them. Now I completely understand what he said earlier.

"And you're low-key traveling here so people won't know about your little secret?" I ask, out of curiosity.

He nods.

"I thought you were running to heal your broken heart," I say, without hesitation. I suddenly feel guilty. What if he doesn't want to talk about it? Ugh. I hate this mouth.

About two weeks ago, wherever you go, everybody's talking about him. Apparently, there was news unraveling his failed marriage proposal in 4/11 Cuisine to his non-showbiz, long-time girlfriend who works in the medical industry. I didn't actually read the article because I was busy signing papers at that time. I just let my ears absorb their tidbits.

"Well... kind of. I wanted to stay here for a while." He places a glass of water beside the glass of my shake. Did I mention that he's now wearing an apron? A black apron that matches his messy dark brown hair—its softness makes you want to run your hand through the strands. "Do you have an itinerary during your stay here?"

Itinerary.

I chortle.

Fook. I did research about the main destination in Paradise Island but I completely forgot about creating a schedule so I'll be able to experience and see everything that this island has to offer. This is why I call myself a certified homebody. I'm only good at staying home when I have no business outside.

"I'm guessing none?" He says, with a straight face.

"I'm so dumb," I mumble. Although I can still search for the attractions here on google. Duh? I can still make one on my notepad. I try to focus on my food, munching it with my pout lips.

He laughs quietly. "I'm going around the area tomorrow. You can join in if you want to."

I suspiciously stare at him. "Why is it so easy for you to offer something to people you don't know anything about?" I ask. No one ever did that to me before. You know, being so kind—from offering you a drink on a plane to offering you to see the island together. Okay. Together sounds a little.... clingy? Relationship-y?

He shrugs his shoulder. "You don't spazz about my existence—like I'm just a normal person."

"Seriously? That's why you're being kind to me?" I laugh. Oh, honey, you have no idea how much I'm spazzing over you in my head. I suddenly want to pat my back for being so cool at times, even though I quite had a hard time the first time I saw him.

He nods, slightly smiling. "When you've been surrounded by people who always treat you as the most important person on earth, it's good to be with someone who doesn't treat you like one."

I want to ask, does your ex-girlfriend treat you like that also? But nah, that would be really personal and we're not that close yet.

I'm about to say, "What time are we heading out then?" when a woman who also wears a Casa Luna shirt appears at my side, handing a paper to him.

"Kai, this is an advance order. They will be here in an hour."  She says. She looks like a local here—tanned skin, wavy hair, petite.

He gets the paper from him. I suppose that contains the food he's going to make.

"I'm guessing no one knows you're a great cook as well?" I ask.

He walks around the space, placing ingredients in one corner. "The only talent I'm showing to the world is my acting skill while the rest—I'm keeping it private."

"And you've been gaining recognition for that talent only. What more the others?" I say, emphasizing the compelling acts from his previous works. Every movie he makes becomes the highest-grossing film of the year. He's famous for portraying himself as a leading man in romantic comedy films. I think I have a lot to say about this guy.

After eating my meals, I decided to stay beside the pool.

Kai went into the kitchen to work on his magic. I also wasn't able to ask him about his plans tomorrow. I don't want to look so eager.

It's only 3 pm.

I thought of going out to see what La Luna looks like but then I realized I don't have the energy to do that because of my dumb choice of working until the morning of my vacation leave. I'm now laying in a wooden pool chair—staring at nothingness.

Whenever I'm on vacation, I was always with Luis. He's basically in charge of everything—from booking flights to creating itineraries. He's good at that and he enjoys it. He's adventurous so he introduces me to every spine-chilling ride there is.

I close my eyes—remembering all the places we've been to.

Being left behind sucks. I was looking forward to building a family with him—I mean, I'm already nearing 30—and settling, for real. But the douchebag wasted all our money without even explaining himself.

On the day of our wedding, instead of tying the knot and saying "I do", I was sending flowers to churches and giving away packed food (from the caterer) to homeless people and I asked my relatives to not make a big deal about it and that I wanted to be alone.

It feels like it only happened yesterday.

Author's Note ☽

Dedicating this chapter to @daralyrose ♡

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment~