Chapter 8

I can't think straight. Now, I really can't think straight even without Kai near me. Although my situation still involves him.

I'm sitting at the corner of the pool with my feet dipping in the water. It's lunchtime in Casa Luna; guests are having lunch in the open area.

If this is a normal day, I'm probably devouring my food right now. But this is an abnormal day, to begin with. I lost my appetite the moment I saw the article and the tweets. Some people are just so harsh. Just because Kai isn't talking about his failed proposal attempt, doesn't mean he's not hurt.

Ollie keeps on calling me earlier but I didn't answer any of them after reading what she sent. I only left her a message saying, "I'm okay, Ollie. Stop calling because you're making my battery low." also known as I want to be alone, please.

I never heard from her again after my text. She knows me like that. She knows I'm strong and smart enough to deal with this chaos. I think it really is important to get a friend who believes in you, especially at times you're doubting yourself. It's essential. That's why I always thank God for Ollie's existence. She's my ROD.

So, how am I supposed to deal with this? Is there even a book that tells you how to smoothly get out of the mayhem you're currently in?

"What's with the I'm-overthinking-so-don't-come-near-me face?"

I look up. Of course, it's Kai. No one ever talks to me here but him. He's wearing board shorts and a Casa Luna shirt. He removes his slip-on and sits beside me.

"I'm guessing you already saw the news?"

He's trying to catch my eye, I can see it through my peripheral vision.

"Well, yeah, and it's outrageous." I hesitantly answer. Why is he even here? The guests might take photos of us.

This is making me paranoid.

"Don't think too much. They will forget about it eventually."

I frown. "This is what I was talking about yesterday. It's all messed up now."

He chuckles.

Oh, how can he react like that while we're in the middle of this?

"You know why Max broke up with me?" He shoots me a serious look. "Because she doesn't like my work. She said, why do I have to accept projects when I already have plenty of businesses that can still support my lifestyle."

I suddenly feel sad for him. "But it seems like you enjoy acting. It's your passion, isn't it?"

He nods. "I feel happy when I'm in front of the camera but what is passion if you can't have the woman you've been wanting to settle with for a long time? So, after I got dumped, I wanted to take a break for a while. The reason I wasn't flying a private jet is that the pilot is associated with my agency and I don't want them to know about my sudden disappearance from the spotlight—not even my manager. Besides, my contract expired a week ago. I have all the right to be anywhere in the world now and with whoever I want to be with. I'm also tired of explaining myself to other people. I just want to move ahead and do my own thing."

There is sincerity in his eyes and he's trying to smile while talking.

"Are you telling me we're never going to get a rom-com movie starring Kai Carter anytime soon?" I shrill.

"What, like you're a fan?" He sarcastically says.

I scowl. "I like romantic comedies, dummy!" I mumble.

He cracks up. "Hey, you've been calling me names since yesterday, Miss."

I swear, with my high-pitched voice earlier and Kai's laugh, I can feel the guests' eyes fixed on us now.