Chapter 54

"Milo and I are planning to visit you and Kai sometime next month."

"Really? We can be your tour guides around the island then, but I must tell you, we're quite pricey so better bring in a lot of cash with you." I tease, playfully pointing my fork at her.

She grimaces. "It's no worries if I'm paying for Kai, but for you? Nah."

Psh. I'm not surprised by her blatant mouth anymore.

Ollie and I are in Winst, a fine-dining restaurant downtown that specializes in steaks and wines. We're sitting across from each other at a table for two beside the floor-to-ceiling window, overlooking the passerby's which Ollie requested upon her reservation. She had to emphasize that while we were on our way here.

Today is my last night in town and as demanded by my beloved best friend, she wanted to spend it with me. I'm about to insist on staying in but she cut me off, telling me she already booked us a table even before she asked so I had left with no choice, but to make it up to me, she agreed on fetching me at home since I was too tired to drive. I spent half of the day packing, trying to fit my things in my luggage.

This isn't the first time I've been here but the ambiance of the place still amazes me. It feels like I'm in Milan with their classic rounded tables, soft and comfortable chairs, dimmed lights, candlelit, ceramic plates, sheer tabletops, and wine glasses for specific types of wine.

Tonight, we're both having a plate of filet mignon with mashed potato on the side and a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon paired with a cheeseboard consisting of sliced manchego, aged cheddar, gorgonzola, and provolone.

I'm on cloud nine. It's been days since the last time I had a delightful meal in a pleasurable restaurant.

I pout in disbelief. "Whatever!"

"This is on me so don't be such a baby." She hisses before devouring a slice of steak she carefully cut up from her plate.

"Wow, you're treating me nicely now in a very, very subtle way because I'll be away for too long?" I sarcastically ask.

"No, it's because I got a rai—oh sheesh."

"What? What's wrong?" I worriedly look at her, wondering what happened because of her sudden reaction.

I'm about to look back to where she was staring before she almost cursed but she stops me by gaping at my wrist.

She leans closer and whispers, "It's someone we despise the most."

I frown. "Who?" I can't remember someone I fought with and whom we both loathe.

"It's your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend. Max Montgomery. Do you still remember her or she's totally out of the picture?"

"She's never been in the picture to start with." I confidently utter before sipping on my glass of wine.

I don't care about her existence anymore. I'm not wasting my energy hating on her all my life. God is in control and I'm leaving everything that has happened up to Him.

Yes, there's still a pang of pain whenever I think about what I've lost—it's not gonna magically disappear, I know I'll always feel it, but I know our little angel is happily living in heaven and I know she's looking after her mom and dad.

"I love the attitude! You've grown so much and I am so proud." She excitedly points.

I give her a sly smile. "That's what I get for being friends with Ollie Gibbs."