Chapter 18

I slumped on the couch. "Okay, let's see what's worth watching on Netflix," I mumble, pointing to the remote control on the plasma display hanging on the wall. It's been a while since the last time I binge-watched a tv series. I think that was Breaking Bad?! Gosh, I love that show. It's mind-blowing; the characters, storyline, cinematography, and roller coaster of emotions? Everything is perfection. Walter White is a genius.

It's Sunday and I have nothing important to do. Ollie called earlier, asking me to have lunch with her downtown again but I passed. I have a scheduled cooking show in the house. I bought quite a lot of recipes yesterday in Windle Mart after my lunch with Ollie. I've decided to change my lifestyle—from ordering food online to preparing my own. And the first meal I made was classic shakshuka paired with crusty bread for lunch. I only bought the bread in the bakery section of Windle Mart though, but I must say, it's not bad for a first-timer like me. I didn't know cooking could be therapeutic and fulfilling at the same time.

*bzzzt bzzzt*

I turn my head to my currently vibrating phone on the coffee table in front of the sofa. Someone sent me a message. I extend my arm to get it.

✉️ Kai Carter
It was nice seeing you yesterday, Madison.

My eyes widen.

What the fork? Why did he suddenly send me a message? He's so random. I wasn't expecting this at all. It was nice seeing me yesterday. Psh. He didn't even bother to greet me properly. After seeing him yesterday in 4/11 Cuisine, I didn't gaze at the counter again.

I start typing.

To: Kai Carter
Likewise. I didn't know you were back!

After hitting the send button, I turn my gaze on the screen again. Hmmm. Friends? How I Met Your Mother? I've actually seen both. They're good in their own ways, that's why I don't understand people who have to weigh which is better.

*bzzzt bzzzt*

I grab my phone again to see the message. But it's not a message this time. Kai is calling. I blink my eyes repeatedly, double-checking if I'm hallucinating. I'm not. He really is calling.

Kai Carter
Calling...

I slide my finger to the answer button and put my phone beside my ears. "Hello?"

"Madison." He says. And then there's a moment of silence. He's not saying anything.

"What's with the random call?" I ask, chuckling. To be honest, this is really awkward. I haven't seen or heard from him for a month and then I saw him in his restaurant and then this... now.

"Yeah. Sorry, I'm currently behind the wheel. That's why. Anyway, I phoned to ask where you are right now. I cooked meaty lasagna with extra garlicky bread earlier and wanted to give you some." He quickly says.

What? What? What? I try to compose myself. "Oh. You really don't have to, Kai..."

"Please," He cuts me off. "It's the least I can do to make up for all the days I didn't message or call you."

Ugh. It's hard to refuse someone who knows what you're thinking. I let out a sharp breath. "Fine. I'm at home. I can send you my address."

"Great. See you." He says before dropping the call.

I stare at the screen of the phone, completely bewildered by what just happened. Before I fall into the abyss of deep thought, I start typing my address and send it to him. Then I look down on myself. I'm still wearing pajamas—with tomato sauce stains from earlier. Should I change? But he's only going to drop the food. It's not like he's going to stay. Duh?