Chapter 42

Author's Note:

Please listen to the linked song above as you read along.

xx

〰️

"Ms. Madison, they'd just like to check which one of these has been approved?"

I want to run away to the seashore and sit on the sand right across where the sun slowly hides away its radiance.

Would you live on this island with me?

I can still hear how his perfectly structured, moist, and reddish lips uttered the words, and I can still think of how my heart pounded so intensely.

All of a sudden, everything I've been through from my previous relationship came rushing back; how happy I was when we decided to move in together when I got engaged when I was preparing for the wedding, and the thought of being in love with the person who brings you nothing but happiness.

"Ms. Madison?"

I think I need more time to grasp your suggestion...

I don't know if I answered him appropriately. I have no idea if I made him upset. I don—

"MS. MADISON?"

I falter, snapping back to reality—away from the abyss of deep thought.

"Ss-sorry?" I ask, stuttering.

"Kai's stylist wants to confirm which one would he be using for our shoot today." She explains while showing me the photos from her phone.

"This is the approved one. They didn't take note?" I say, pointing at her phone screen.

"I will double-check if she listed all the approved remaining wardrobe. Thanks, Ms. Madison!" Nix happily reassures before marching his way out.

We're in Katie's room, having lemonades while chitchatting and doing a bit of aligning for our shoot later in Surf Town, but mostly chitchatting about random things. Katie and Rachel are talking about their little club getaway and how amazing it was to be out after a while, and since I ditched them, I've been left thinking about my own memory from last night.

After I said I need more time to think about his plan, Kai tried to brighten up the mood and reassured me that no matter what my decision is, it was up to me and he won't force me into staying here with him. He even said sorry if he came off a little too fast which I instantly disagreed with.

We went on to watch Friends and devour our dinner. He spent the night in my room and left early this morning to have a meeting over breakfast with Margot.

It would be nice to move to this beautiful island to live a happy and quiet life. Who wouldn't want that? Kai has probably been looking forward to this moment.

But as for me? Am I ready for this? I love Kai but I feel like I can't do this right now. Luis and I moved in together in his place before he proposed to me and left right before our wedding. Yes, Kai is different, he's a great guy but I don't want to be rash on my decisions, not again. I don't want to be in the same place as I was before.

Some people would probably say: You had a baby with him, why can't you live with him?

Well, it's different. There's no one on the line that connects the both of us.

I hear my phone chime. A text message.

✉️ Babe
Wanna have lunch with me? I have poke bowls in my room :)

I look at my wristwatch. I didn't realize it was already noon. I start typing.

To: Babe
Sure. Be there in a minute.