Chapter 17

"WHAT?" Ollie clamors, reason for other customers who are sitting near our table to glance at us.

"Ollie, tone down your voice," I mumble.

She briskly covers her mouth with her eyes wide open.

I just told her that Kai Carter kissed me before I left the island.

I eat a spoonful of congee. We're at 4/11 Cuisine now, eating Chinese food, since Ollie has been craving these since—I have no idea, she made it sound like she's been longing to eat in 4/11 Cuisine when I phoned her to ask where are we going to meet—forever.

It's Saturday. I don't have work on weekends unless I have a meeting, presentation, or shoot. Ollie, on the other hand, is on a 2-day vacation leave to relax her mind from work. I love that we aren't handling our burnouts and drained minds so lightly. Mental health is as important as physical well-being.

"Sorry, I can't contain my feelings right now, because what the fuck?" She scoffs. "You once felt Kai Carter's lips! You know you're the luckiest woman now, right?"

"Am I?" I innocently ask. "I told you, he only did it because there was a beer foam on my upper lip." I still couldn't believe he was willing to do that to remove a fucking beer foam? When he can just get a tissue and wipe my freaking lips?

Ollie pouts. "We both know, people who did that on television dramas always end up marrying each other."

"Honey, those are scripted!" I defend.

"Maybe the entire universe conspired for you to end up together? There are endless possibilities. I'm not losing hope for both of you."

I roll my eyes heavenwards. "If he's into me, why isn't he texting me? I mean, it's been a month already without hearing from him. It only means we're done. What happens in Paradise Island, stays in Paradise Island."

"Well, you have a point." She leans forward, resting her arms on the table. "What if you file a resignation and go back there? Maybe you can continue your thing with Kai then."

Is she serious? I look at her with an are-you-for-real look.

She cracks up. "Kidding! Anyway, do you still like him?"

"I don't think so," I answer right away. It's true though. It's not like we've had a lot of memories and spent quite a long time together.

"That's sad." She says before taking a bite of char siu pork.

I raise an eyebrow. "What about you? Do you have anyone you're flirting with right now?"

She hastily shakes her head. "No one!"

I smirk. "Why did you take a vacation leave again?" I suspiciously ask.

"Uhm, I told you, I want to take a break. Work has been so hectic and exhausting lately."

I narrow my eyes at her. "You're dating someone, aren't you?"

Ollie doesn't like leaving work—she loves her job so much—unless it's an emergency and she's about to meet someone. We've been together all our lives. It's impossible to lie to my face, although I almost believed she was only taking this time to break.

Yes, Ollie has depression at times, but usually, it only takes a day for her to overcome it. She'd phone me to come to her place and binge-watch on Netflix, order pizza, and drink red wine, and I would drop whatever I'm doing to see her.

She once did this to me. She called me one morning to have breakfast outside, and when we parted ways, I decided to walk around downtown since I haven't been outside for long, and then mom called me, asking me to buy her a seafood meal in her favorite restaurant, there, I saw her having lunch with a guy, but instead of destroying her date, I told mom the restaurant is closed. When I mentioned it to her, she said it was just a friendly date and that it was already over. Friendly date?!

"Ugh, I don't really want to jinx it that's why I'm not saying anything." She whimpers.

See? I know her so well.

I glare at her. "Nice try, though. You're getting better at lying."

"I like him. He's so... matured." She says.

"Fine, fine. Tell everything when you're complacent enough that it's not another one-time fling." I surrender.

I'm glad Ollie's trying to date though. I'm happy someone's putting a smile on her face and making her heart flutter.

Dating in today's generation sucks though. You'd invest time, money, and emotion in this one person and then they will suddenly disappear in thin air, making your relationship over even though it hasn't started yet.

Good thing, Ollie and I are strong women who don't cry over worthless guys who know nothing but ghost women after spending a day with them like it's a trial and error for their next quest.

"Thank yo—"

Ollie stops when a waitress suddenly places a plate on our table. "Here's a brownie ala mode from 4/11 Cuisine." She says and immediately strides back inside the kitchen.

"Wow. They are so generous to giveaway desserts!" Ollie exclaims with stars in her eyes. She's a chocolate hoarder.

I peer at the counter, and there I saw a tall guy wearing a black NYC baseball cap. His head is slightly bowed down that's why I can't clearly see his face. I couldn't also see his body fully since he was behind the counter, but his bodybuilt is familiar, and that cap... I've seen it before.

"What's that?" Ollie whispers, but loud enough for me to hear.

A few moments later, the guy finally looks up.

Holy mother forking shirt balls.

I was expecting him, but I'm still a bit stun to see him. When did he fly back? Is he with Max again? I may not be into him anymore, but he still shared a piece of himself with me that's why I couldn't help but be curious.

He slightly smiles at me before turning his focus to his employee again.

"Is that Kai?" Ollie whispers.

"Yeah," I say before gulping a glass of water.

I haven't told her about Kai's business. I don't want to spill it to anyone since it's his secret and he's the one who should disclose it to everybody.