Chapter 43

"Pack up! Great work, everyone!" Arden shouts as everyone cheers and applauses.

Margot speedily walks to where Kai is, handing him a towel. He puts down his surfboard on the ground and gets it. He gently wipes his face and brushes it on the top of his head to dry his hair. He's all soaked up from surfing.

Our frames for today are comprised of beach and surfing scenes, that's why we're shooting here in Surf Town. It's 6-ish in the evening, and we're on time to finish based on the Shot List. We've also managed to have a one-take for the sunset scene while Kai's surfing. It's always the crucial part when shooting out of town. We cannot stop and ask the sun to stay still for us if we fail to capture it the first time, that's why we always hope for a perfect, single shot. The one that clients easily approve.

Watching Kai do his surfing tricks in front of the camera made me reminisce about the first time we met and how we comfortably vibe with each other as we explore Paradise Island together.

After our talk in his room, we never get to speak again. He's been busy talking with Arden and Margot. Whenever I'm glancing at him, he's no longer stealing a glimpse of me.

I know I caused him wounds and I know I deserve to be hated, but what can I do? I can't pretend that nothing bothers me. I want to be decisive. I want to clear my mind. Is that so bad?

Kai unbuckles the strap on his ankle and picks up his surfboard. "Thank you, guys!" He says, smiling widely and fist-bumping with the camera crew.

"Where are you going? We're having a team dinner!" Margot shouts.

"Will catch up with you later." He waves his hand and heads to Cali's surfboard shop. We had his surfboard rented there. Cali still recognizes me when I went earlier to check the designs. He even offered discounted surf lessons if any of my colleagues wants to try surfing. He's too sweet.

"I cannot believe tomorrow is our last day! What a great shooting experience it has been." Rachel says, looking sullen.

Yeah, right. I wouldn't forget this place and this project.

"I already booked a table in La Mari. We can have dinner at around 8 pm, I think? Just in time for everyone to tidy up and rest a bit." Katie announces. "I'll send a message to our WhatsApp group so everyone is informed."

"I heard there are tons of other places around that's worth seeing. Ugh. I want to stay longer. Is it possible to change our flight, Ms. Madison?" Nix asks with her puppy-like eyes and pouty lips.

"If you don't have any other work-related schedule, you can stay. It's just that, your extension won't be shouldered by the project. Is it okay?"

"OH EM GEE! Thank you, Ms. Madison! You're the best! Yes! Yes! It's fine! I know other accommodations that are a lot cheaper than La Mari. Hmp."

"Seems like someone did her research last night." Katie teases. "Why do you want to extend, huh? Is there someone you want to make more memories with?"

We laugh in unison while Nix playfully hits our shoulders.

〰️

"Sweetheart, would you mind if I stop by the merchandise shop first? My husband has been bugging me about their shirt designs. He won't just stop until I send him pictures. So annoying." Katie says, rolling her eyes heavenwards.

"Sure, sure. I'll head go ahead first. Also, let me know if they have fancy stuff out there." I say, mumbling the last words.

She winks. "Of course!"

I walk towards La Mari Restaurant, where we're having a team dinner requested by the one and only, Margot. She mentioned it to Katie yesterday after our shoot, and that's why Katie did all the work to make it happen. Margot just won't talk to me. I won't bother to ask why though.