Chapter 7

I pick up my phone from the bedside table with my eyes still closed. It's been ringing for—god knows how long.

"Hmm," I murmur after hitting the green button. It's Ollie.

"Oh! Finally! She finally answered!" She hissed over the phone. She sounds so freaked out.

I hastily open my eyes. Did I miss something? 

I glance at my phone screen to check the date and time. Nope. There's nothing special today. The only unusual thing right now is Ollie calling at 8:30 am. Ollie doesn't call me early morning unless it's SOS. "What's with the panic-y voice?" I ask calmly.

"Why should I be calm when my best friend is dating again? Girl, I didn't know you were that fast." She says with a hint of sarcasm in the end. I can imagine her eyes rolling heavenwards just by hearing her high-pitched voice.

Ollie Gibbs is my best friend since the very day we were born. Our mothers are sorority sisters. We attended the same school from kindergarten to college but she applied to the school of medicine while I chose to be in line with media and arts. We still hang out together during our university years even though we're taking up different courses because she was always taking me out of my cocoon to party in the red light district. Yup, she's a party animal—she likes blasting music, the smell of tequila, and skin-to-skin dance floors.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" I say, dumbfounded.

"Holy shit, Madie! Are you serious?" She's probably glaring right now. If we were together, I'd be dead in an instant.

"What are you talking about? Can you be more specific?" I irritatingly say.

"Oh, Lord! Check the article I'll send to you." She says before hanging up the call.

After a few seconds, her name pops up on my phone again. I open it.

•·················•·················•

BREAKING: Kai Carter is spotted on Paradise Island with another woman.

Noticed, one of the best sources of up-to-date news and paparazzi photos of celebrities tracked the international actor Kai Carter in Surf Town, Paradise Island earlier today with an undisclosed woman.

The two were spotted surfing and sunbathing between 9 am to 12 pm today.

Photos of them start surfacing on the internet after a tourist posted it on her Twitter account with a caption, Kai Carter surely knows how to move on fast enough to date another non-showbiz girl.

2 weeks ago, the actor reportedly got dumped on the day of his marriage proposal to his long-time non-showbiz girlfriend, Max Montgomery.

Noticed called Kai Carter's agency to confirm the speculations but they refuse to give a statement.

Kai Carter is currently trending #1 Worldwide on Twitter.

Posted at 11:32 pm yesterday.

•·················•·················•

My eyes widen in surprise. Aren't we done yet with the surprises?

I need a moment of silence to calm my mind as well as my whole well-being. Holy mother forking shirt balls. This is crazy.

I scroll down to see the pictures below the article.

It was indeed Kai and me—when he was teaching me how to surf and while we were lying on the sand. This was posted yesterday night. I was already asleep at that time. After having lunch yesterday, I went out to walk around the area. I found a tattoo shop, a chill bar, a milk tea shop, and a surfboard shop nearby. I decided to stay at the bar and ordered chicken and beer since I haven't had that for a while, good thing they have this huge tv that shows Kai's movies at that time to keep me company. I went back to Casa Luna at around 9 pm and I went straight to bed. I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday.

I open my Twitter account to see the trends.

•·················•·················•

Trends Worldwide
Kai Carter
another woman
Kai and Max
Max Montgomery
Paradise Island

•·················•·················•

Oh no, this is a complete mess!

I scroll down to check what people have been saying about this fiasco.

Katherine (@kathales)
Why are you people bashing Kai Carter when in fact he was the one who got left behind??? He has all the right to find another woman and stop acting like you're all entitled to his explanation!!!
1M Retweets 1.8M Likes

Jonie Bells (@jhonbelly)
Kai should have rested for a while first before getting back to dating again. Isn't he ashamed of what happened 2 weeks ago? This can also affect his career. Remember when he almost lost his fans when he made his relationship (with Max) public?
500K Retweets 1.2M Likes

Lani (@heyitslani)
The girl isn't even pretty lol. What kind of taste for a woman does Kai have? He's always aiming for non-showbiz when there are lots of actresses he can choose from and he can certainly flaunt during award nights.
1.2M Retweets 2M Likes

Sophie M. (@imsophiem)
I think Kai Carter is afraid to be lonely that's why he immediately searches for a woman who can replace Max and fix his broken heart. Sad but true.
300K Retweets 550K Likes

Pepper Concepcion (@superbpepper)
She was my senior during college! It's Madison Del Valle! She's a former president of our student council and she's really amazeballs! I wouldn't be surprised if she comes across Kai Carter because she's a respected producer now.
110K Retweets 510K Likes

Of course, people have a lot to say. They are his fans. Whatever Kai does, it affects them. That's how show business works.

I don't really care if they think I'm ugly, because I am not. My mom would always say, "You're the most beautiful woman I've ever known, Madie." and I believe that. What worries me more is Kai having to deal with this mayhem. He's still in the state of moving on. I wish I can tweet that and defend him but I think that will only cause more ruckus.

My phone is blowing up with notification messages from my officemates, my boss, my mom, Ollie, and other colleagues. How am I supposed to respond to that?

I shut my eyes in despair.

I thought this is a trip to refresh my mind.