Chapter 6

Author's Note ☽

Please play the linked video for the music while reading this chapter ♡

"Would you mind if I ask you what advice could you give to a person who just got dumped?" He says without looking at me.

I'm kind of perplexed by what he's saying. Is he pertaining to himself?

We're laying on the sand right now sunbathing. After finishing our drinks, we headed back to Cali's place to return the surfboards and to get our things, then we decided to take a walk—also Kai's suggestion, stating I need it so I can somehow explore the beach—until we can no longer feel our legs and ended up laying on the sand.

He didn't wear his shirt back so I didn't wear my dress yet. We're in our sunglasses, facing the bright sky. I think everything about this island is good for my soul. Should I consider staying for a month here? Or quit my job in the central business district to settle here? Or think of a possible business I can put up here? Should I extend my leave to master surfing?

"I think this is my time to be curious now." I glance at him. "So, what happened? I mean, what the media says is probably different from your perspective."

"Well, I have no idea what else did they include but the gist is that I closed 4/11 Cuisine for that day. I organized everything. I wanted it to be private, of course, but Margot—my manager invited some press outside. To make the story short, she really didn't accept my marriage proposal and that we should break up."

"Then the next thing you know is you're already trending on Twitter and you're on every newspaper?" These days, when you're curious about a certain issue, social media is your key to keeping updated on the juiciest news around you.

He chuckles. "Exactly."

"How long have you been together?"

"4 years. Was I too fast?" He says, sounding a little concerned.

"I don't actually believe in we're moving too fast and let's just take it slow scheme. If you have this genuine feeling for someone, you go out of your comfort zone to make that person yours. If all things fail, it is only because that person isn't the one destined for you." I say, with conviction. It's true though, that's what I realized when Luis left me hanging. Maybe he's not really the one.

He moves sideways. "That makes sense. I think you're going to be a great love guru."

"Yeah?" I chortle.

"Why did your ex run away, then?" He asks.

I can feel his gaze through his sunglasses. How can someone break his heart? He seems like a person you would want to treasure for the rest of your life.

I smile at the bright sky—thinking about that day. "He phoned me saying, I don't think I can do this, babe. Let's call off the wedding. I'm sorry." I haven't heard from him again since then. Isn't he the certified jackass?

"That sucks, and yeah, he's a total jackass for letting such a beautiful woman slip away."

I suddenly want to pinch my cheeks to see if I'm only dreaming or hallucinating. So, he thinks I'm beautiful? God, I know I can compete when it comes to beauty and brains but having Kai say it... gives me a different feeling.

"And I'm not dumb enough to accept him when he comes back." I assert.

He stands up and offers his hand to me. I take it and he helps me to stand. This isn't the first time I felt his soft hand. God, I felt it multiple times while he was teaching me in the water.

"That's my girl." He pats my head like I am a kid while smiling widely before he starts walking back to where we came from.

What does that mean?

Isn't he giving me mixed signals?

"What are you cooking?" I ask while leaning on one of the counters in the kitchen of Casa Luna. After sunbathing, we decided to eat lunch since it was past 12 pm already but the restaurants in Surf Town are all packed with tourists so he suggests he was just going to cook and that he hates waiting.

He looks back at me. "Beef Rendang and Nasi Goreng."

All I can see is his back while he's cooking. He's wearing his apron again. I couldn't help but flush. I can feel the heat from my cheeks. Oh, I haven't felt this for a long time. When you're in a long-term relationship, sometimes it gets boring, sex is becoming like a chore, and there's no more romantic excitement, but even after all that, your love for each other surely stays.

"Wow, thanks for bringing Indonesian cuisine to our table," I say, sounding amused.

"Have you been there?" He curiously asks.

"Yeah, with my ex. I actually thought of going to places we've been to, but this time, going there alone; experiencing things again alone. It's like gaining back the energy he took away from me."

"Hey, that's a good idea." He responds with you're-really-genius-aren't-you look.

"I know right," I mutter.

I grab my phone from my bag to text Ollie. I miss her.

But the bitch left me 5 messages already.

✉️ Best friend Ollie

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUUUU? SERIOUSLY?

HOW DID IT HAPPEN? SIS, I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!

YOU DO LIKE MAKING ME WAIT, DON'T YOU?

WHERE IS HE NOW? TAKE A PIC!!!

AND YOU DO UNDERSTAND THAT I'M ALL HYPED RIGHT NOW RIGHT?
AS YOU CAN SEE IN MY ALL-CAPS TEXTS?

I unconsciously let out a giggle.

Kai looks at me, puzzled.

I point at my phone's screen. "It's my best friend. She freaked out when I told her you happened to be my seatmate on the plane."

He mouths an "Ohhh," before focusing on his thing again.

I don't want to answer her yet because she's going to call and won't stop until I spill everything. I place my phone on the table and start watching Kai's back again.

After 15 minutes, he places the food on the counter. He removes his apron and walks to the barstool beside me.

"Thank you for the food! Are you going to add this to my bill?" I joke.

He winks. "It's on the house."

We're actually sharing food. He didn't get a separate plate for us.

Our face is so close. We are so close.

"Hmmm. Oh my god! It tastes good!" I say while pointing my fork to Beef Rendang.

"Thanks." He says and stares straight into my eyes. "I was planning to tour you around again after this... but something came up."

I beam. "No, no. Do your thing." I reassure. "I also like to go around alone to buy souvenirs." I just love myself for being able to answer fast even though the situation is a bit distracting. Yes, our closeness is so unsettling to the point you wouldn't able to think straight.

He nods. "Alright then,"

I wonder what is the real meaning of his something came up reason. Did something really happen? Or is this the last time I'm going to see him because he thinks I'm no fun to be with?

Oh, Madie. Why are you even stressing about that? Do you like Kai? Do I like Kai? Not an I-like-him-because-he's-a-good-actor like but an I-like-him-and-I-couldn't-really-explain-why type of like.

Nope. I'm probably just excited because I'm with someone new. Hah, how can someone like someone in a day?