Chapter 23

A. Thompson: Can you come to my office before lunch?

Madison DV: Sure. I'll be there.

Arden Thompson's name suddenly pops up on my laptop screen. I was a bit startled. It's been a week of being the new executive director, but this is the first time he's talked to me.

So, what time exactly is 'before lunchtime?' I want to ask him, but never mind. He better make it short and fast because I'm having lunch with Kai.

Wow. It feels good to not overthink what he's showing me. I'm actually okay with just being friends. I didn't even expect anything after confessing my feelings either. But if he wants to go further, why not give it a try, right?

I think that's what this generation needs to learn—don't date someone because you love them, date someone because you want to get to know them more. Dating is not only limited to those whom you already have feelings for. You also have to see if there are chemistry and compatibility. In short, don't waste your chance of lifelong happiness with the one whom you truly deserve by focusing on those who don't give a damn.

"Congrats, Madison!"

Katie enters my office with a cup of coffee in her hand, as usual. She loves roaming around the office while sipping on her cup. She gracefully sits on the couch.

"Thank you. It took us 24 hours to finish the shoot though. It feels like I have a hangover." Kai drove me home earlier. It was already 5:30 am when we arrived at the condo, and I had to wake up at 8:00 am to make it here by 9. If the production people work in flexible time, executive producers and marketing assistants follow the regular working hours unless we have something to finish and attend to, like presentations and meetings. But it's not counted as overtime, because aside from the salary as an employee of Empire Entertainment, we also get talent fees in every project we handle. That's why I can afford to buy a Hermes bag and pay my own monthly bills.

"I'm not talking about that! I'm pertaining to your new project with Pure Pacific."

I bat my eyes repeatedly. "W-what?" I'm intently gazing at her, but my mind is carefully thinking about the proposals I made and if I did one for Pure Pacific—an airline with a private first-class suite, luxurious details, and premium service. It's commonly used by business moguls, high-ranking government officials, celebrities, and other respected people in the country.

Her eyes widen. "You don't know yet?"

I slowly shake my head. I don't remember writing a bid proposal for Pure Pacific. That's for sure. I may be dubbed as Ms. Forgetful at times, but I always recall the proposals I did. Duh, who wouldn't? It's impossible to forget something you worked your ass for.

Katie slaps her mouth when she realizes I'm telling the truth. "Oh, shocks! I shouldn't have said it. I thought Arden already talked to you since he disclosed it to me."

I think I know the reason why Arden wants to see me in his office.

〰️

"How have you been, Madison?" Arden says when I enter his office. He's behind his table, scribbling on a notebook.

"Uh, I'm fine..." I have no idea how to act in front of him. I am not used to coming here with a different person sitting on Ham's chair.