Chapter 9

"It looks like you're from Surf Town,"

I'm surprised to see Kai sitting in one of the pool chairs with a MacBook Air and some papers beside him. I thought he'd be working in his place, like a private place.

"Yeah. I tried surfing again with the help of Cali." After watching the sunset, I rode a tricycle (it's their mode of transportation here if you don't have a private vehicle) going back to Casa Luna. It's already past 6 pm. There are guests having drinks in the open area, while some are checking out the menu.

I suddenly feel starving. I haven't eaten anything today. I'll just tidy up first then head back here again for dinner. I'll order the best food they have to offer.

"So you guys are friends now?"

I grin. "I think so,"

Gosh, my hair and clothes are still damp from earlier.

Whatever. Why do I keep on thinking about what other people would say about me behind my back? I should stop doing that. Like what he said, move ahead and do your own thing.

I start walking towards my room. Moving ahead, you say?

I giggle at my own pun.

Kidding aside, I don't want to stay longer because it's getting colder and I'm really tired and hungry. Surfing is so tiring. It makes you want to fall asleep right after.

"Madie!" He blurts.

I look back at him with an exhausted look. Can we continue this flirtationship tomorrow? Hah, as if he's hitting on me. "Hmm?" I mumble, clueless.

"I almost forgot. I'm going to Tagoan Lagoon tomorrow. The van will leave here at 4 am. Would you like to come?"

Tagoan Lagoon? Is it a must-see here? My forgetful ass didn't remember to Google and take down notes about the unmissable places on Paradise Island.

I shoot him an I-don't-know-where-and-what-is-that-place look.

"It's where you can snorkel and scuba dive, dummy." He triumphantly says. "I must say, it feels good to counterattack."

I chortle. "You sure know how to retaliate." I wasn't expecting that comeback either. "But yeah, I'm in," I say before heading to my room.

I'm starting to feel thankful for Kai's presence.

If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be able to experience the pleasurable feeling of being able to stand and balance myself on a surfboard.

Luis and I have never done it before, even when we were vacationing on a coast with high swelling. He doesn't like surface water sports because of his trauma; he almost died because of a huge wave when he was 18 years old. Now, he hates beach breaks.

Anyway, Kai is also the reason why I smile and laugh more often. If he wasn't here, I'm either reading a book by the pool with a martini on the side or binge-watching Friends on Netflix in my room.

When you're already nearing 30, that's the exact definition of rest and refresh. Oh well, I've been acting like a granny since then so what's new? I'm a certified homebody.

After tapping the keycard on the door lock, I hear my phone ringing inside the rattan bag hanging on my shoulder. I grab it to see who's calling.

It's Mom.

"Hi, Mom." I joyfully greet her when I answer the call. I haven't heard from her in a while. She would send me text messages but it's very rare for her to call, which I completely understand because she's always at work. She's a Surgeon. I once told her to retire already since she's turning 60 next month and it's time for her to just chill in the house, but of course, the old woman got furious, saying she still got all the energy in the world to continue saving lives.