Chapter 19

"Woah. It's flavorful." Kai says, scrutinizing the drumstick on her fingertips.

After watching To All The Boys I've Loved Before and the Layover—this movie was so funny. I wonder why Ollie and I didn't watch it before—I told Kai to stay for dinner since I'm going to cook again. He quietly sits on the couch while I was preparing the food. I made Korean barbeque chicken and kimchi fried rice.

I stride towards the barstool beside Kai. We're eating at the kitchen counter since I don't have a dining table. I usually have my meals in the living area since it's more comfortable there. "Oh, thank God!" I tensely say. I marinated the meat yesterday so the meat would be tender and delish. Thanks to youtube video tutorials that make everything easier.

He nods. "You didn't mention you know how to cook."

"I don't until I realized I should start preparing my own meals. I've been ordering packed food online since I moved out of mom's." I confess before taking a spoonful of kimchi fried rice. Fuck. It's so délicieuse!

"What? Home-cooked food is healthier, dummy." He roams his eyes around the place. "You have a nice home. When did you move here?"

I couldn't help but laugh inside. It's nice because I cleaned it, but it normally looks like a tornado came inside to mess up my things. "2 years ago, I think? It's only a 10-minute walk from Empire Entertainment HQ." I answer.

"Yeah, it's much more convenient than driving hours every day to get home. I know the feeling." He says without looking at me. He's busy with the food on his plate.

"I'm really curious..." I fold my arms. "Are you okay now? Why are you back already? I thought it was going to take a year." I scoff.

He snorts. "Well, to start off, I'm feeling better." He puts down the chopsticks on the table. "Max and I are really over. Remember when I told you I wanted to see her fix things? I did. I ended it. Although she begged me not to. Apparently, she flew to Paradise Island after seeing Noticed's article about us because it made her realize she still loves me and she was just overwhelmed with the proposal."

Wow. I have no idea I became an instrument for her to make up her mind—only in the wrong way, but at least.

"That's sad. Can't you give her another chance?" I ask.

He looks at me. "I can't be with someone who's indecisive about her feelings. I want someone who knows what she truly feels no matter what the circumstances are."

"Hmm, you're right. We can't be with someone who questions their love for us! Psh." I guess we can both relate to this topic.

"I also came back to sign a contract for a tv commercial and an upcoming movie."

I look at him in surprise. "A movie, huh?" I wonder what would be Ollie's reaction to his shirtless scenes on screen now that she's shipping me with him.

"Yeah." He takes a deep breath. "It has an interesting storyline."

"So, you're back in the spotlight, then?"

He shakes his head. "I don't really have plans on coming back this early, but the CEO begged me to do this project for them. I couldn't refuse."

"Oh. Good luck, then." I mumble before digging into my plate.

THE NEXT DAY

"Akira is no longer available to shoot next week. She already has a prior commitment." Rachel says while scanning through her notes.

We're currently having a meeting in the lap hall regarding project medic—every project we handle has a name for distinction purposes. Rachel is a production manager. We're also with Nix and Lindsey, the production assistants. This project is to be directed by Ham. Finally, I'll be seeing him soon. But first, we need to fix this loophole.

"Can't her manager move that to a later date?" I ask, tapping the tip of my pen on the table. We're going to shoot a digital advertisement for Vita C. It's a multivitamin for young adults.

"They can't. It's a public appearance. But her manager gave me a list of possible talents. I contacted them already but only one has agreed to do the commercial. Most of them refused since they don't want to be affiliated with any pharmaceutical company." Rachel says. I can already see the frustration on her face. She should be. Our shoot is next week already and we aren't even finalized with the talent yet. One of the requirements of this project is to have a talent or endorser who works in the medical field, preferably a doctor. Akira Saito is a beauty queen and medical technologist by profession.

We need a replacement for Akira as soon as possible so we can pitch it to the client. If not, we'll be forced to move the shoot. We can no longer adjust the timetable—we're already loaded on the upcoming dates with other projects—unless we want this to slip away.

"Who? Can she come in here today?" I ask while scribbling on my planner.

Note: A pitch for Akira's replacement is needed this week.

Rachel clears her throat. "It's Akira's best friend, Max Montgomery. She's a chemist."

Why is that name keep on popping up in my life? They're all gazing at me with concerned looks. I let out a fake laugh. "What's with the look?" I ask.

"Isn't it going to be awkward for you? I mean, it's Kai's ex." Rachel bluntly says.

"Honey, we're not a thing. It's not a problem at all." I narrow my eyes at them. "Those articles? They're there to create a ruckus."

"So, you're not really dating Kai Carter, Ms. Madison?" Nix whimpers.

"Yes, yes. We're dating. That's what I said earlier, right?" I sarcastically say. Do I need to post my official statement regarding our issue so I won't be anymore affiliated with him?

Nix and Lindsey both frown.

Rachel laughs. "Enough of that. We need to refocus. Max can't come here today, but she sent me her CV. I'll email it to you." She adds before standing up. "Let's wrap this up, shall we? I have a briefing at 2 pm."

"Alright. Go ahead." I wave my hand as they start walking to the door.

Author's Note ☽

Hi guys, 

Apologies for the slow updates. I'm currently dealing with coronavirus anxiety. Anyhoo, I hope you all are doing well despite the crisis that we're all facing.

Let me know your thoughts about this chapter and don't forget to vote ♡