Chapter 53

"Uhm, are you guys okay?" I ask when they are still mum after a few minutes since I went into Arden's office. He's sitting on the couch with Ham beside him while I'm opposite them.

It feels like I did something bad and they are the counselors that need to lecture my comeuppance.

This must be about the resignation letter I sent to both of them early this morning. I actually thought Arden's going to ask me to come in his office a few minutes after I sent it but no, it was already 6 pm when he replied on our email thread saying:

Please see me in my office now.

So did I. I even brought my laptop with me in case they want to see the status of my workload until I sent the letter.

While waiting for this response earlier, I messaged Milo if we could have dinner with Mom tomorrow but he said Mom's not going home tonight for another surgery so she needs to take a rest tomorrow plus, he's out of town for a business trip.

Since I can't leave the city without seeing and talking to them, I video-called them during lunchtime which is a good thing because they were both free.

I finally had the chance to tell them my decision. At first, Mom was against it, saying I should be careful with my life decisions because they can make or break me, but then I joked about giving her a grandchild the soonest so she immediately change her mind. Unbelievable. She must be that desperate to have a little Del Valle running around her house every Sunday afternoon. On the other hand, Milo didn't say anything as he doesn't want to go against me and our Mom, although he asked if Ollie knows about this because she didn't mention anything to him. Oh, dear. If you only know from the start, she's the brainchild of this all.

Since my flight is scheduled for the next day, I have some free time tomorrow. I can use that to pack my things and clean up my space since I'll be gone for a while. I'm not selling my home and my car though. I'll be coming back once in a while anyway. Kai didn't sell his properties too.

"Why are you resigning all of a sudden?" Ham leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees.

"I'm relocating to Paradise Island." I clear my throat. "Well, I'm moving in with Kai. I'm so sorry for the short notice, you guys. I don't intend to bid my farewell in a rush." I don't want to tell them about Kai but meh, they'd know either way. His departure was all over the internet.

"Can't you stay for another month? What about two weeks? At least give us a lead time so we can find someone who will replace your position?" Arden butts in.

Oh, no. He sounds irritated. I should have brought in a cup of his favorite coffee.

Another month? I can't wait that long! I've already wasted a whole week trying to figure out what I want to do and now that I do, all I want is to see my boyfriend and engulf him in a bear hug.

"We can't let you go like that, Madison," Ham says.

I give them a what-do-you-mean look.

"I know how much this means to you so we won't give you a hard time, but we have an offer that we'd like you to reconsider." He glances at Arden before looking back at me. "We'd like you to be our business development and marketing consultant, Madison. That way, you can work offsite and visit the office once in a while." He continues.

What?

Did he say it right or I'm hallucinating? Wait, am I hearing things I'm not supposed to hear? Is this a dream? I wish someone could slap me in the face right now to wake up my sleepyhead.

"Huh?" I frown, trying to absorb what he just said. "Are you offering me a job?" I ask, feeling dumbfounded. Why would they do that? "I don't understand..."