Chapter 25

"Are you there? I'll be down in 5!" I hurriedly say before ending the call,  throwing the phone on my bed. I told him to be here at 9:00 am sharp but guess what? I woke up at 8:50 am, so I'm currently expeditiously wearing my clothes. Why did I even sleep late at night? Why did I randomly watch 3 episodes of Street Food on Netflix? It's good, though. It's such an immaculate show for foodies like me.

After putting on my olive green knit dress with fringing and Comme Des Garcons x Converse Chuck Taylor in beige, I briskly get my phone, grab my mustard Birkin bag on the bedside table, and heads straight to the door. I wasn't able to wear makeup and my hair was still damp from taking a shower. Grrrr. Others would probably say, take the time to prepare yourself. Let him wait outside, which I think is a complete bullcrap. We should respect other people's time, even if it's our boyfriend, even if they're willing to do so. I've seen a lot of posts like that on Twitter and it's not healthy. If you want to be respected, do the same to your partner. Relationships are strengthened by the give-and-take approach.

When I step out of the elevator, I can already spot Kai's Maserati coupe through the glass windows. I couldn't help but smile. I suddenly feel a pang of excitement because 1) I'm going home 2) he's going to meet my mom 3) my mom won't bother me about him anymore 4) he and Milo could hang out in the backyard, drinking beer while I watch on Netflix 5) Milo's going to bake chunky chocolate chip cookies for me—I had a hard time convincing him last night—since stores downtown is still close at this hour. Yay. A lot of things to look forward to today.

"Good morning, beautiful." Kai welcomes me with his killer—but comforting—smile. How is that possible?

But to be called beautiful with your bare face on is such a mood starter. Kai Carter is too sweet to handle.

"I'm sorry for making you wait," I say while putting the seatbelt on.

He starts driving when I'm all set. "No worries. Did you sleep late?"

I nod. "I completely lost track of time while watching a Netflix documentary show about Asian food."

"Speaking of, aren't we going to buy anything for your mom? A dessert, maybe?"

I shake my head. "Milo is going to cook for us." I narrow my eyes "He better not disappoint my tastebud!"

He glances at me before turning his eyes back to the road. "Who's Milo?"

"Oh," I chuckle when I realized I never mentioned any of my family members to him before. "I forgot to say, I have a younger brother."

"What's he like?"

"Uh, he likes books, golf, and girls?!" I answer, with I disgusted face. I suddenly remember how of a womanizer he is.

"He must be good-looking. What's his name again? Milow?"

"May-lo, dummy." I squint my eyes. "I think you guys will get along really well." I lean closer to him and whisper, "Because you're both self-conceited."

He howls with laughter. "Is that what you think of me?"

Gosh. You're effortlessly perfect, even more, when you're flaunting it—I want to say, but never mind. I'm all for the tease. "Yes!"

"Hey, I'm not that self-conceited!" He defends himself like an innocent kid.

I lean my head on the window beside me, staring at the sky. The weather is gloomy. The day has only begun but it looks like it's already past sunset. "I love rainy days," I mutter to no one in particular.

"Really?"

I peek at Kai when he answers. "Yeah, there's something about the rainfall's scent that makes me happy." I'm weird, I know. First, I like the smell of supermarkets, then this. "What about you? What's the weather you like the most?" I ask.

"Hmm, winter? We traditionally go to Lotte Park during the snowy season, and when I say we, I'm talking about our whole clan."

Wow. Well, I wouldn't be surprised. He's a billionaire. Lotte Park is a members-only club known for its extravagant winter activities. I heard there's a 5-star hotel inside, a ski resort, a spa & wellness hub with a sauna and enormous jacuzzi, and an infamous café known for its imported cocoa. It's too luxurious and out of the ordinary. A membership that lasts for a year costs $20,000. What more is the accommodation?

I remember asking mom to bring me there as a college graduation gift but the old lady got mad, saying I'm too demanding as a child. Turns out she already bought a car as a surprise gift.

"Have you been there?" Kai adds when I didn't speak for a while.

I was preoccupied with thinking about what it's like to be in Lotte Park. "Nope."

"Let's go there this holiday season." He immediately responds, as if he already knows what I'm about to say.

"Like I'm a member?" I sarcastically say. There's no way I'm going to waste my $20,000 for membership unless everything else is free of charge. Besides, Lotte Park is a 10-hour drive from the city. So, you can basically go there during breaks only, at least for a regular employee like me.

"Members can bring one companion, dummy." He states that it's a fact that everybody knows except me.

〰️

"Where's mom?" I promptly ask when Milo opens the front door for us. He's holding a spatula in her right hand and is wearing a pink polka-dot apron. He looks like a house husband.

"She got an emergency call from the hospital." He gazes at the person beside me. "Welcome to the Del Valle residencies, brother-in-law."

WHAT. THE. FORK?

I forcefully beam at him—but deep inside, I want to smack his face—I don't want to show Kai how abnormal and childish we are when we're together. "Milo, this is Kai. Kai, this is Milo, my brother." Annoying brother.

"Let's have a bro hug later, alright? I'm all messed up for cooking so much food for my dear sister." He says, widening his eyes at me while saying the last words.

Kai chuckles. "Of course. Thank you for inviting me over."

"Anytime, brother-in-law! We're family here." He winks before marching towards the kitchen.

I am speechless. Milo is crazy.

I look at Kai, biting my lower lip. "I'm so sorry on behalf of my annoying brother."

He places his palm on my head and laughs. "Don't worry, I'm actually expecting a sibling's quarrel."

I simper. "Good, good. I don't have to be pretending nice to him." I say as I stride straight to the living area—with Kai following me—hoping to surprise greet mom, little did I know I am the one who will be surprised. "Ollie?"

She turns her head in our direction. "You're here!" She excitedly says when she sees me. She stands up from the couch and marches towards us.

"I didn't know you'll come!" I shriek while hugging her. Oh, I missed Ollie. We didn't get in touch again after I turned her down for another lunch date which is totally fine for besties. It's normal to say 'no' sometimes.

"Uhm, there's something I want to talk about..." She mumbles into my ear.

〰️

Author's Note,

To those people who made it to this chapter, a big THANK YOU to all of you, guys. I wouldn't make it this long if it wasn't for your love and continuous support. If you happen to be writing a story as well, don't hesitate to message me and send me the link to your book. I would love to give it a read and stars!

Hola at me on Twitter at @/moonandmilkyway ♡