Chapter 12

Author's Note ☽

Probably the most ~kilig~ chapter I've written so far. Don't forget to play the linked video above to feel this chapter even more ♡

"What do you want for dinner?" Kai mumbles into my ear. I can feel his breath into my skin and it's giving me a tingling sensation.

We're inside the van again, heading back to Casa Luna.

After snorkeling inside the lagoon, we went back to the yacht to have lunch. They served bountiful seafood on the dining table—garlic shrimp, baked mussels, and fresh oysters, to name a few.

Other tourists swam around the yacht during siesta time, but Kai and I decided to sunbathe on the deck while drinking cocktails and munching freshly baked potato chips.

Max didn't bother Kai again during those times.

A bulb suddenly lights in my head. "Chicken and beer!" I exclaim in excitement.

He looks at me in disgust. "Is it even a thing?"

I look at him in horror. "What? You haven't had it before?" I may not be like my party animal best friend, but I love beer as much as I love cocktails. I've heard about the perfect combo—yes, I call chicken and beer the perfect combo—in a hit Korean drama. "It's an absolute pair. You have to try it at least once in your lifetime."

He slowly nods. "Alright. I know a—"

I cut him off by placing my index finger on his lips. "I know a place." I confidently say.

He beams and leans his head on my temple. "Let's sleep the ride off."

"Thank you, guys." Our driver says after opening the back door.

Kai and I were the last people to hop out of the van. We didn't notice everyone leave because we were asleep. When we arrived in front of Casa Luna, we asked the driver if he can drop us off at Chick n' Chug restaurant instead.

"Sorry, how do I pay for the trip? I ask.

"As far as I know, payment should be done 2 days before the customers' scheduled date." He answers with a confused look.

I gaze at Kai.

He awkwardly laughs. "Yeah, we've sent the payment to the organizer. She's just forgetful." He pats my head.

"Thank you. Thank you." He waves at us before hopping into the driver's seat.

Kai starts walking towards the restaurant door.

"You didn't tell me you've already sent the payment!" I shriek.

"I told you, I got you." He says without looking at me.

A waiter assists us at an unoccupied table when we arrive inside. "Welcome to Chick n' Chug." She says while handing us the menu. "You can click this button if you're done choosing from the selection." She points to the button at the corner of the table.

"How did you know this place?" Kai asks while checking out the menu.

"I was here 2 days ago, I think? They serve juicy chicken and superb craft beer."

He closes the menu and leans forward, resting his arms on the table. "So, what do you recommend to eat, foodie?"

I pout. "I am a foodie, dummy," I ordered a bucket of chicken barbeque with garlic mayo dip last time. I scan the menu to see what else to try. "Hmmm, I think let's order Mediterranean olive chicken legs, red hot honey glaze wings with blue cheese dip, and original recipe crispy chicken thighs. As for the beer, I'll have big ass beer and caramel-flavored beer."

Kai leans back on his chair with a look of amusement on his face. "Are we going to eat that all?"

"Yes. I'm hungry." I say with conviction.

I click the button and repeat my order to the waitress who accompanied us earlier. Chick n' Chug is a pub with modern interior touches—the roundtables' surface is made of hardwood, creating a raw and casual feeling for the space, the chairs are soft and comfortable modern style in olive color, there are pendant dim lights on the ceiling, giving the entire place a homey vibe. On the far end, there's a glass window that shows how the chefs prepare the food.

"Would you mind telling me what characteristics are you looking for when searching for a partner?" He says out of the blue.

"Why? Are you going to take me on a blind date with one of your bachelor friends?" I sneer.

He chuckles. "Why not? I have lots of single and ready-to-mingle mates back in town."

I quickly recall my likings when it comes to guys. "Uhm, I'm attracted to intelligence—I mean, intelligence is sexy, right? Someone who gives me a conversation with mental stimulation rather than the usual flirty texts. I like someone who knows how to respect me no matter what happens and no matter what my choices are, someone who's family-oriented and driven, someone who loves my quirks and laughs whenever I make face over the things that upsets me. Of course, someone who's clear with his intentions and doesn't play mind games—duh, we're old enough for that."

He's smiling from ear to ear. "I think I know someone who fits your criteria."

I lean forward and mumble, "Who?"

He leans closer to my face. "Me." He mouths while staring straight into my eye.

My eyes widen. What the hell? What the fuck? What's with him? Is he drunk? But we're not even drinking yet!

I immediately lean back on my chair and tensely laughs. "Guys who aren't clear with their intentions are a no-no, so back off, dummy." I try my best to sound natural.

He cracks up. "I'm kidding." He brushes my temple like I'm a 10-year-old kid. "I like you though. I wish we could still be friends even after this vacation."

This jerk.

"If you're always giving me the red flags, I think I might stay away." I retort.

"Am I giving you the red flags?" He whimpers.

I draw a sharp breath. "Yes. I actually thought for a moment, is Kai interested in me? but then I realized that can't be because you're still into yo—"

The waitress suddenly arrives with our orders, places them on our table, and leaves.

Kai is looking at me intently with his arms crossed.

"Yeah, you're still into your ex. I can see it in your eyes, so don't deny it to my face." I continue before grabbing the big ass glass, and taking a chug of beer. "I like you too, but the difference is that I could love you." I bravely admit. It feels like saying those words took all my energy away. I suddenly can't breathe properly and it's so freaking hot in here, or is it only my cheeks?

Why did I even say that?

When I look at Kai, he promptly stands up from his seat, leans forward to me, and closes the gap between us.

Holy mother forker!

His lips are on mine.