Chapter 13 - James

I leave the arena around 8pm and notice I still haven't had a response from Liv.

I don't want to seem overbearing but she did say she would text me when she got home.

I send her a quick text when I get into my truck.

"Home?"

I drive the 20 minutes to my townhouse and grab my bits from the passenger seat.

I check my phone when I'm inside.

Still no reply.

Is she doing this on purpose?

She was very apologetic in her text, so I doubt she'd be trying to get a reaction from me.

She should very much be home by now.

Or at least replied to my message.

Once I'm inside, I sit on the sofa and give Zeus, my German Shepard, a rub as he sits down between my legs.

I pull Liv's contact up and dial.

"Hey boy," I mumble as the phone line rings.

And rings.

And rings.

It cuts off, not even giving me the option for a voice mail.

Fuck.

I try again and the same happens.

I send her another text.

"Liv, please can you just let me know if you got home safe."

I place my phone on the coffee table and go to the kitchen.

I give Zeus his dinner and hear my phone ringing.

Thank fuck.

I walk through to the living room and swear out loud at the person calling me.

"Henry"  lights up the screen.

"This better be good bud," I respond as I put him on speaker and check my message to Liv again.

Still no reply.

I sigh and put the phone back to my ear.

"James, mate, I have some info on the case, it's nothing that needs addressing right now but I thought you might want to know, I know you like to get ahead on these things," he replies.

Henry is partner, I've been working with him for the last 4 years and he is a great partner and friend to me.

"Oh great, cheers man," I reply, rubbing my temples.

"Everything alright mate?" he asks down the phone.

"Er, yeah, sort of, listen I could do with your opinion actually," I state.

"Yeah? Course what's up?" he asks.

"I need your opinion as a friend, not as my colleague, okay?" I say.

"Yeah, go on."

"You know I mentioned to you that new girl, the photographer?" I start. 

I hear him reply an affirmative down the line and continue, "well she left today just before me and refused to let me drive her home, she text me saying she would message when she got home, but she never did. I've tried phoning her and texting her but it's not going through, It's been well over an hour now mate, am I being stupid?" I finish.

"Jesus man, why you care so much?" he asks.

Knobhead.

"Look, just answer the question, am I overthinking things?" I ask.

"More than likely mate, she's probably fine. You know if you wanted to I can run her number through the system and try and pinpoint a location, I'm in the office," he states.

God no.

That would be such an invasion of privacy.

And I would  look like a fucking stalker.

"No, no, look never mind, you're probably right, I am probably over thinking things. You headed home soon?" I ask, trying to take my mind off Liv.

"Actually, I'm gunna work late tonight and get some of these reports done."

"In that case I'll head over and get a start on that info you had for me," I reply as I get up and grab my coat.

"Yeah, no problem mate, I'll see you soon," Henry replies before cutting off the call.

I let Zeus outside and then lock up as I head to my truck.

I try Liv one more time.

I get in my car and start it.

The line cuts off.

Fuck sake.

I sit with my hands resting on the steering wheel and contemplate going to her house.

Is that weird?

Obsessive?

Too forward?

She will see how much I wanted to make sure she was alright, right?

Fuck it.

I put my seat belt on and pull out the driveway.