Chapter 53 - James

Four months ago.

I finish at the station early, Amy leaves for New York in two days and I wanted to surprise her by coming home early and taking her out to our favourite restaurant.

"Hey babe!" I shout as I enter Amy's house, letting myself in with my key and closing the door behind me.

No reply.

"Babe?".

I place my key on the side table and glance down.

Those aren't my shoes?

Men's work boots are sprawled out on the floor.

I step forward into the house.

The slight banging coming from above me catches my attention.

I hold my breath, pushing back the rising anger.

I jog up the stairs, quietly, making sure I'm not to be heard.

The noise gets louder as I climb the stairs.

That distinctive sound.

I walk towards the master bedroom.

The door closed.

I stand at the door, listening to the grunts and moans coming from within.

I grab the door handle, throwing it open in one swift move, I'm sure it's dented the wall.

Amy's head jumps around in my direction, her eyes go wide when she sees me "James!".

The guy's eyes widen from his lying position beneath Amy.

My fiancé.

Amy jumps off, pulling the sheets to cover herself as the man grapples for his trousers on the floor.

I keep my eyes on Amy.

"James! It's not what it looks like," she states, holding her hand up in defence, the other clutching the sheet.

A snigger leaves my mouth before I can stop it, "really? You're not fucking this dude?".

"I'm sorry, it didn't mean anything!" she replies.

I shake my head and make my way out of the bedroom.

"James wait please! I'm sorry, let's talk about this!" Amy shouts as I make my way down the stairs.

I grab my keys from the side before pulling the front door open.

"We're done Amy, over, enjoy your work trip and your new fuck," I reply before storming out and shutting the door.

Three months ago – two days before meeting Olivia.

My phone rings for the millionth time.

A number comes up on the screen, it doesn't have a contact link anymore, but I still know who it is.

I answer, "Amy, what do you want? I told you if you kept ringing me, I would block your number."

"Hey James, I'm glad you picked up, I wanted to talk to you," she replies softly.

"I have nothing to say to you Amy, I'm blocking your number now," I reply bluntly.

She calls me twice a day from New York.

I'm just about to start the season with the boys, I need to cut ties completely, I don't need distractions.

"James, please, I understand I hurt you. Let's just take a break, hey, talk about this, us, when I'm back from my trip, in a few months," she replies.

"No, we're done Amy," I reply, hanging up the phone and blocking the number.

Present day – pre-game

"No. I'll go deal with her, you head to the rink," I tell Liv.

She nods slowly before turning and leaving.

I let out a deep breathe.

Fuck.

The boys look around at me.

I drop the clip board to the bench with a loud clatter.

"Listen up boys," I start.

"I was engaged, four months ago," I blurt, the boys look around at each other, wide eyed.

"I didn't even know you had a girlfriend, let alone a fiancé coach," Leo says gently.

I nod, "I kept it down low, I would have mentioned it to you guys eventually, but things ended between us before this season started."

I shuffle on my feet, clearing my throat.

"Amy Bennett was my fiancé."

The boys gasp, "Shit."

Connor glances to the door, "Shouldn't we tell Liv."

"You say, 'was engaged', you haven't been leading Liv on have you, she was your fiancé, right? Not still is," Leo asks.

"She's not my fiancé, she was," I reply quickly and the boy's nod.

"As for Liv, I'll explain everything to her, let me get Amy out of here first."

"Wait, what happened? Why is Amy here?" Sam adds.

I turn back around from my retreat to the door.

"Long story short, I found her in bed with another dude, I told her it was over then and there and left, but she kept on about making it work when she was back. If I'm honest, I haven't even thought about her for the last three months, I didn't know when exactly she was coming back, and I definitely didn't expect her to come here. I should have told Liv, I just, I don't know, I didn't," I reply, rubbing my chin.

"Shit, go get rid of her man," Leo adds.

I nod and make my way towards Amy's location, praying Liv headed to the rink.

~~

I glance around the array of people standing around the green entrance.

I eye Amy and she lets loose her big, fake, smile when she sees me.

She jogs over in her 6-inch heels.

"James!" she runs towards me, throwing her arms out for a hug.

I hold my arm up and step back, "no, why the fuck are you here?" I whisper shout.

Her face morphs into an exaggerated frown, "to see you, of course."

I shake my head, "you need to leave, we're not together Amy, I told you that, I told you that as soon as I found you fucking that man," I seethe.

"I'm sorry James, I really am, let me please just explain, work things out and maybe start fresh," she replies, fluttering her eyelashes.

I stand tall, "no, I met someone, after you left, I'm in a new relationship and I suggest you do the same and move on."

Her face shakes side to side, "what, who?".

"None of your business Amy, I have a game to get to, you better leave, if I see you again, I'll call security," I reply, turning and walking away.