Chapter 35 - James

I watch as the ref makes his way towards me in the box.

"It doesn't look good; they're taking him to Eastern General," he says.

Fuck.

I nod and look over to Leo, who's talking to Liv.

I look up at the direction and see Elsie, Tommy's girlfriend.

Shit, I didn't realise she was here.

I watch as Liv makes her way up the stands towards her.

Then I see the paramedics moving Tommy onto the stretcher.

I pass my clipboard to Jimmy, "finish this up, tell the boys to wait here to hear anything, I'm going with Tommy."

"Yes, coach."

I walk towards the medical team escorting Tommy out of the rink and look back towards Liv.

She's whispering in Elsie's ear and helping her put her jacket on.

~~

I join the paramedic in the back of the ambulance and pull out my phone.

"Eastern General Hospital – I'm with Tommy" I text Liv.

Just as we pull away my phone pings in my hand.

"We're on our way."

~~

I pace in the corridor while the doctors work on Tommy, he was stable, so they sent him straight for x-rays and scans.

The door to the corridor opens abruptly and I see Elsie and Liv walk through.

Elsie runs into my arms, "please tell me he's okay," she cries.

"They've sent him for scans, he's stable but I don't know the dept of the injuries yet, or if he even has any," I reply.

She stands for a few minutes crying into my hold.

Liv stands to the side, rubbing her hand up and down Elsie's back.

The doors to the corridor open again and a doctor walks through with a clipboard in his hand, "anyone next of kin for Tommy Brown?" he asks towards us.

"I...I'm his girlfriend," Elsie replies, "is he okay?" she sobs.

"Are there any family members I can talk to?" the doctor asks.

"She is his family, is he alright?" Liv cuts in.

"He is on his way up from radiology, will be here in a few minutes. He was very lucky, suffered only a slipped disc. He will need recovery and will probably be out the rest of the season," he replies, "sorry coach," he says towards me.

Elsie takes a deep breath and falls into Liv's arms.

"Good, as long as there is no serious damage done doc," I reply.

"He will be up soon; you can stay with him, but he needs to rest," he says to Elsie.

"Okay, thank you doctor," she replies.

"If you can make your way to the waiting room, a nurse will call you when Tommy has been placed in a room," he replies, pointing to the end of the corridor.

"Okay," I reply, gliding Elsie and Liv down the corridor.

We sit for a good 20 minutes when a nurse comes into the waiting area and calls for friends or relatives of Tommy's.

Liv stayed back and let me and Elsie go to Tommy.

Once I'm happy they're both comfortable, I leave Elsie with Tommy, his family are making their way to the hospital.

I walk back through the hospital to the waiting room and see Liv, sitting looking around at the doctors and nurses rushing through.

She catches me walking towards her and shoots up, "everything alright?" she asks.

"Yeah, he's fine, thank God," I state, as we both sit back down in the plastic chairs.

I rub my hands over my face and yawn.

"The boys have been texting me, they're going mad," Liv states.

"Yeah, I called Jimmy a few minutes ago to give him and the boys an update. Told them not to come tonight and to see him tomorrow during visitor hours," I reply.

"Okay...good," she responds, glancing around.

"You alright?" I ask.

"Yeah, just hate hospitals that's all," she replies looking back towards me.

"There's nothing more we can do, let's head home," I reply bringing myself to stand.

"Sure he has everything?" she nods.

"Yeah, he has Else and his family is on their way," I reply.

"Okay...you need a lift?" she replies as we head for the door.

"Don't worry about it Liv, I can grab a taxi," I reply.

"No, I'll drive you home, come on."

"Honestly it's fi-"

"Jesus, is it this annoying when I reject your lifts?" she asks.

I smile, "yes Liv, it is."

We both smile to each other and make our way to her car.

~~

"Want to come in for a coffee?" I ask as we pull up to my house.

"Oh erm, sure, if you don't mind," she replies.

We make our way out of the car and head towards the door.

I glance back at Liv, who's still sporting my hoodie.

As soon as I open the door and step through, I'm pounded by a large fluffy animal.

"Hey buddy."

Zeus shuffles back and looks towards Liv.

I look at her as well, "shit, you're not allergic, are you?" I ask.

"What? No, no, oh my god, he is so frickin cute James, you didn't tell me you had a dog," she starts rubbing Zeus and he melts into her, "Oh my goodness you are such a cutie, look at you."

Cute?

Zeus?

Not really the words I'd use to describe him, he's about as stubborn and grumpy as me.

"Oh yeah, this is Zeus," I reply, hanging my coat on the stair banister.

She's still kneeling down to Zeus, rubbing his head between her hands and pulling pouty faces at him, mumbling nonsense.

I laugh.

"Shut up, I'm a sucker for a dog," she replies standing up again.

I start walking into the kitchen.