Chapter 15 - James

Game night.

We're playing against our closest competition, in regard to location.

Tensions can run high at games like these, where two close cities compete.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't make for a great atmosphere.

I'm headed to the changing rooms, when I round the corner and see the most wonderful sight.

Olivia.

She has her back to me, her thick, dark curls are laying perfectly down her back.

Of course, she is wearing a black hoodie and jeans.

I smile to myself.

She appears to be talking to someone, I can't make out who it is but there's a man standing in front of her.

She takes a step to the side and is immediately blocked by this...man.

Man, no, this boy.

Ugh.

Joey.

I barely know him, but what I do know is that he's interning for the opposing team and that this boy has no concern for people, and definitely no respect for women.

I reach Liv and can feel her unease.

Will this prick fuck off.

I clear my throat.

"Can I help you, Joey?" I ask.

I keep my gaze fixed on Joey but I can see Liv looking my way, she almost immediately lowers her head.

"Just bumped into your little friend here James, quite entrancing isn't she, no wonder your team snapped her up," Joey replies.

Entrancing?

I feel my breathing picking up at the thought of this arsehole anywhere near my Liv.

"Shouldn't you be with your team Joey, get going before I have security kick you out." 

Or before I kick you out.

Joey scoffs and takes a step around me and Liv.

"Nice to meet you Olivia, I hope this is not the last time I bump into you," Joey finishes.

If I have anything to do with it, that will never fucking happen.

I look to Olivia who is still glaring at the floor she mutters quietly, "I'm so sorry James, he bumped into me and..."

This girl is too apologetic.

I reach my hand up and gently tilt her chin up, bringing her gaze to mine.

"I told you, stop apologising. Now, are you alright?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm fine," she replies shyly, looking back down at the floor.

Why does she look so guilty?

This wasn't her fault.

She hasn't done anything wrong.

"Are you sure Liv?" I ask again.

She looks up at me and gives me a forced smile, "yes, all good, come on, I don't want to make you late."

I would miss the game if it meant spending more time with her.

I wouldn't admit that out loud though.

I smile back warmly, and we head to the changing rooms.

~~

We walk into the changing rooms, and I greet my eager looking boys.

I run over the game plan with them and let my coaches talk tactics with a few of the boys.

I glance over at Liv, who's sat at the back, prying her camera apart and attaching what I assume are different lenses.

She gets up throws her hair over her shoulder and looks towards me and the boys.

"Good luck boys," she shouts as she gives a little wave and opens the door for herself.

Just before she exits the door her eyes meet mine and she gives me a killer smile.

I couldn't hold one back myself if I tried.

~~

We hit the rink and the crowd erupts into loud cheers and chants.

I'm confident we have this game in the bag, even though we haven't started yet.

We are 4 times running national champions after all.

I glance around the arena to take in the crowd.

I don't see Liv.

Not that I was looking for her.

I give my final game talk to the boys, and they disperse.

Buzzer.

Game on.

We've got off to a brilliant start, 2-0 up in the first 10 minutes.

I still haven't noticed Liv.

The buzzer sounds for the first 20 minutes and the boys make their way off the ice and towards the changing rooms.

I run over some tips and give them some pointers, once we've finished our re-group, we make our way back to the rink.

I step out again and look around the crowd.

Where is Liv?

As I glance back around front, I notice someone bouncing down one of the sets of stairs in amongst the crowd.

Liv.

Camera in hand she's clearly snapping photos as she takes each step.

As she reaches the bottom step, leading directly in front of the rink, she completely misses it but catches herself.

Her eyes go wide as she holds her camera in one hand and the other hand gripping for life on the handrail of the stairs.

She stands for a moment, looking petrified before the biggest smile I've ever seen etches itself across her face.

She glances straight down my direction and catches me staring at her.

I shake my head and smile at how this girl has managed to fall nearly flat on her arse. Every. Single. Time.

She lets out a small belly laugh and regains her stance, smiling as she continues to snap photos of the boys.

God I love that smile.