Chapter 57 - Olivia

Christmas Day

"I am so full," I state, closing the door behind me.

"Me too, why does mum always make like five deserts, she knows I can't resist them all," Megs groans, moving to lie across the sofa.

We've just got home from spending Christmas day with Megs family.

"Put the TV on, I'll grab some drinks," I reply, moving towards the kitchen.

"Let me grab something first, I have something for you," Megs replies, standing and moving towards the stairs.

"Okay?" I reply, grabbing two cans from the fridge.

I sit on the sofa, turning the TV on when Megs comes down the stairs.

"What's that?" I ask, eyeing the package in her hands.

"It's for you," she states, coming to sit beside me.

"I didn't want to give it to you this morning, I wanted to wait until tonight because I don't know what it is," she replies.

Frowning, "what do you mean? Who's it from?" I ask, slowly taking it from her hand.

Megs doesn't reply, but from the guilty look on her face, I know who.

I throw it to the coffee table.

"Nope."

She picks it back up, "open it, he said he bought it ages ago and can't return it so you should have it anyway," she adds, pushing it into my chest.

"No, I don't want it," I reply.

"You don't even know what it is, open it or I will," she replies.

"Fine," I sit up straight, "give it here for god's sake."

Megs sits back, watching me open the wrapping.

When I get it open, it's an envelope.

"What is it?" Megs asks.

I unfold the letter, opening the paper, I start reading through the information.

Tears instantly spring to my eyes.

"Liv," Megs says softly, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I continue reading, taking it all in.

"What is it?" she asks again.

I look to her, letting the drops fall down my cheeks.

"It's a star," I state.

Megs frowns, "What?".

"A star, he named me a star," I reply, turning the paper so she can read.

"There's a note, look," Megs points out the small card sitting at the bottom of the envelope still.

She takes the paper from me, reading it for herself.

I open the small handwritten card, "I can't read that," I cry.

Megs takes it from me, reading it out loud.

"Olivia, from this moment forward, every time you look to the sky, when you see the millions of stars above you, you'll be able to see Ellie. You'll be able to know that she is still there, and what you must remember, is that even through the darkness, one star will burn bright, constantly, forever. No matter where you are in the world, you'll be with her, if you need her, look up to the sky."

"Megs," I whisper.

"Oh Liv."

Wrapping her arms around me, I lay on Megs chest, letting my sobs fill the quiet air.