Chapter 18 - Olivia

I'm finishing up a few photos of the empty stands, capturing the aftermath of the craziness.

The empty plastic cups.

The forgotten foam fingers.

Just as I rise back to my feet, I hear James shout at me.

Completely startling me.

Fuck, I thought he would have left already.

"Yo Liv, you finished up yet?" he shouts.

I turn to face him completely breathless.

"Jesus James, you scared the shit out of me," I shout, hand hovering over my beating heart.

"Sorry sorry, are you alright?" he asks.

This man cares more for me than my own parents.

Ironically true.

"Yeah, just grabbing some final photos, can never have enough!" I reply.

By this point he's started making his way through the stands and is headed up the stairs to me.

"Olivia, you've spent the last 3 hours snapping photos, I'm sure you have more than enough," he states as he reaches me, "you know, I can see the lines on your head where you've been squinting into the camera," he states as he lets out a light chuckle.

What?

Wrinkles?

At my age.

He obviously senses my sudden concern over the look of my face.

"Don't worry Liv, you still look..." he pauses, "you look absolutely fine," he finishes.

Something tells me that's not what he was going to say.

Is this man nervous?

I smile at him and glance down at my camera in my hand.

Before we can exchange anymore words, I hear another loud voice echoing around the arena.

"Come on coach we're waiting for you!" Leo shouts up, "oh hey Liv, wanna come grab some pizza?" he asks.

Oh god, is James going?

Should I go?

I look back towards James who's glaring back down at Leo.

I take it he doesn't want me to come...

"Oh no I'm good, better get home, thanks though," I shout down.

I grab my hoodie from around my waist and lay it across my arm.

"Right, better get going then," James says as he clears the air.

"Yess," I reply.

~~

Once I've grabbed my bits, I walk with the boys to the car park.

They clamber over to a few of the cars, and I head in my car's direction.

"Sure you don't want to come Liv?" Connor asks.

"Yeah, come on Liv, first game, first win, let's celebrate," Leo adds.

"You must be hungry," one of the others add, still yet to learn everyone's names.

I am hungry.

"Honestly, I don't want to impose, you boys go have fun," I say as I turn to face them.

"You're not imposing Liv, you're a part of the team now," Leo replies.

I turn to James who has a neutral expression on his face.