Chapter 42 - Olivia

Saturday's game goes by in a blink again.

Since the events of Wednesday's firework night, James has been busy with a case, working more than sleeping and I haven't had much more than a few texts from him.

In all honesty, I'm glad of that.

It's not just that James has been incredibly busy, but I am also avoiding him.

I avoided awkward conversations at practice, making sure there was always someone else in the room to avoid conversations.

It kills.

I miss him so much even though he's there.

I crave to be wrapped in his warm arms.

Feeling his soft lips on mine.

I need to break the ice.

I need to come clean.

I've been mentally brainstorming how to tell him.

Do I sit him down and blurt out my disaster of a life?

I know one thing for sure, I am completely and utterly afraid of losing him.

And if I lose him, then that's it for me.

I can't lose him.

I just can't.

I look up and meet those beautiful blue eyes meeting mine from across the stands.

He gives me that killer smile and I can't help but smirk right back at him.

It's as though my body reacts to him before my mind can catch up.

Just like right now.

My body is walking towards him, and I'm already standing in front of him before my mind can tell me this was a terrible idea and to walk the other direction.

"Hey," he smiles.

"Hi."

"I've missed you," he replies.

My smile drops slightly before I quickly return it to the corners of my mouth.

"I've missed you too," I reply.

"Fancy a movie night? Maybe even another animal documentary, but not one where the seals die, that cut me up," he shakes his head and I laugh.

"You're a softie," I reply.

He brings his gaze back to mine and gives me that 'well' look.

Oh shit.

He invited me over.

Crap.

No.

No.

Avoid.

"Oh sorry, I'm going out with Megs tonight, rain check?" I lie, and I instantly regret it.

Ellie use to tell me a fairy would die if anyone told a lie.

I internally apologise to her and promise myself she knows exactly why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I also hate holding things from him, especially when he's so open to me.

"No worries."

We walk to the changing room, and I grab my things before turning to James.

"Enjoy your girl's night," he says.

"Thanks, see you...at some point."

I turn and walk towards the door when I feel his fingers wrapping around my wrist and turning me to face him.