Chapter 67 - Olivia

Two weeks later

"Where are we going?" I ask as James drives through the city.

"You'll see."

"You know I don't like surprises James," I reply.

"You'll like this one," he smirks.

I lean back in the seat, looking out the window at the passing world.

I flick my head around as James's truck glides to a stop on the side of the road.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"You know where we are," he laughs.

I do, we're down from the café me and Megs go to often.

This road is just out from the main centre of town, quieter and simpler.

Small shops line each side of the road, boutiques, cafés, some restaurants and independent shops.

It's one of my favourite places in the city.

I hop out of the truck as James rounds to the path.

"I know where we are," I laugh back, "but why are we here?".

I start walking slowly down towards the busy road, cafés busy with people enjoying the start of spring sunshine.

"Where are you going?" James calls from behind me.

I turn abruptly to see him standing by his tuck still.

"Huh?" I shuffle back towards him.

"This is the surprise," he speaks, while nodding his head towards the empty shop to the side of us.

I glance at the empty building, white painted wood lining the large clear windows, each side of the entrance door.

"What?".

"Why do you sound so confused?" James laughs.

I frown when I look back at him, "because I am."

His smile is glued to his face as he steps forward towards me.

"Come on," he adds, taking my hand and pulling me towards the building.

"James what are you doing?" I ask as he pulls something from his trouser pocket.

He holds the shiny object in front of me, dangling it in my view.

"What's that?" I ask.

"A key," he replies.

I step back, "James can you cut to the chase, I have no idea what's going on."

James pulls my hand from my side, his fingers opening my palm as he places the key in my hand.

"It's yours."

I stand frozen to the spot as James takes a step back, placing his hands in his pockets.

"What?".

James laughs, "you have limited vocabulary today."

I look down to my palm and eye the key, I glance into the empty area and around.

My eyes stop at the 'For Sale' board sticking out from the shop, which now has a red sign stuck across, 'Sold'.

"James, I can't afford this, what the hell, I still have a month left of uni and I haven't even applied for any other jobs yet-" I raise my voice slightly.

James steps forward, opening his mouth to reply but I butt in before he gets the chance.

"-what is this? I thought we said I'd focus on my project first and then we'd look at jobs, and that's jobs James, not buying a studio, getting a job."