Chapter 39 - Olivia

~~Smut warning, skip if not your thing but just note things get a little bit heated between them two (in a good way)~~

We don't talk for a while, just sit comfortably in each other's presence while other people, couples and families gather on the hill.

There's not many and we're spread out enough I can't even hear their conversations, but its nice knowing how cosy it is here.

I see James glance at his watch and notice the time is just a few minutes to 9pm.

Then something catches the corner of my eye.

I turn my head and see the sky to the left of the city being lit up with colours and sparks.

"Wow," I state.

James laughs, "is that your word of the night?".

"James, this view is incredible, did you know you'd be able to see the fireworks from here?" I ask.

"Yeah, I did, I came here once with some friends and watched them."

I think back to the photo sitting on James's desk in his office, his friends.

"You don't really talk about your friends much; you have a best friend?" I ask.

"I've always kept myself busy with work and the team so I don't have a massive friendship group here, my best friend is probably Henry, he's also my partner."

His what?

"You're what?" I ask.

"My partner?" he replies, then his eyes go wide before he bursts out laughing, "oh god Liv no, I meant my work partner, as in the other detective I work with, we work...together, ya know?" he finishes.

Ohhh.

"Ohh, I see," I reply laughing and hiding my face into his chest.

"What about your other friends, outside of the team and work," I ask, trying to see if he will talk about anyone else specifically.

"Not really, a few I've met over the years but no one in particular," he replies, keeping things short and broad.

I don't reply, looking back towards the fireworks I feel James's hand move up my back and come to rest at the top, just before my neck.

I don't move, continuing watching the fireworks and families on the hill.

"Liv," James states quietly.

"Yeah?" I reply, still looking towards the fireworks.

"Look at me."

I turn slowly to look him.

It's dark but I can make out his stern expression staring back at me.

His eyes are dark, I can't see the blue in them anymore.

"Liv," he states again.

"Yeah?" I ask again.

He doesn't reply, just continues staring at me intently, making my whole body heat up.

I watch his Adam's apple bob as he swallows deeply and notice the same nervousness coming from him that I saw when he almost kissed me on the rink.

I'm watching him just as intently as he is to me, that I notice the split second his eyes dart to my lips, just like they did the time before.

Now's my turn to swallow.

I feel my breathing picking up, and not for anything bad this time.

His hand that isn't already on my back comes up and brushes over my bottom lip, pulling it down slightly.