Chapter 25 - James

I didn't sleep last night. Not after what I saw Liv going through.

I was so relieved when she finally text me this morning and even more so when I saw her in my office this afternoon.

I know somethings eating her from the inside out.

I wish she would tell me.

But I have to be patient.

When Livy found out about the unplanned practice this afternoon, I'm glad when she tells me she will stick around and spend some time with the boys.

Although, I can tell she is only using it as a way to take her mind off whatever's happening inside her head.

I push past the growing concern I have for Liv and focus my attention to the boys, and our game tomorrow.

~~

I walk with Liv to the rink where the boys are playing around.

I notice them having fun, just playing hockey, not being pressured by me or my other coaches.

I hadn't planned a practice but some of the boys turned up to get some extra time on the rink, so I thought I'd use this opportunity to focus on some 1-1 time with them.

I glance over to Liv talking to Leo while he's grabbing a drink.

She's smiling, shaking her head.

The smile is real, but there's a look behind it, like she's not really feeling that happiness deep down.

Maybe she could use a little fun.

I walk closer and catch her reply to Leo, "no, absolutely not, you will have to forcefully drag me onto the ice, and I put up a good fight," she replies to him.

"Coach, help me out here," he nods in my direction, "I'm trying to get Liv on the ice."

Liv looks at me, still smiling honestly, but painfully.

"Could be fun Liv," I add.

Leo's eyes widen, almost shocked that I entertained any kind of 'fun'.

"Not everyone's here, why don't we just have some down time," I reply.

"Fuck yes coach," Connor adds as he glides to a halt beside Leo.

Leo looks back at Liv who's looking slightly concerned towards Leo's 'kid in a toy shop' look.

"NO." Liv states, one finger in the air at Leo. She knows where he is going with this.

"I'll get some skates," I add, smirking at Liv as she glances towards me mouth hanging open.

"James!" she shouts as I make my way out of the box.

When I return from the store cupboard, Liv is standing with her arms crossed over her chest, shaking her head.

"No, absolutely not, I will break my fucking neck," she states firmly when I hold up some skates to her.

"Don't worry," I start as I sit down and start putting my skates on, "I won't let you fall."

I glance at Liv who's looking between me, Connor and Leo, "you're really not letting this go are you," she adds.

"No Liv, you're coming on this ice whether you want to or not," Connor replies.

"Oh god," Liv replies as she takes a seat next to me and starts untying her shoelaces.

Once I've helped her into her skates, I stand and hold my hand out for her to hold.

She rises slowly and we walk the few steps to the ice, I step on and glide around so I'm facing her.

I hold my hand out for her.