Chapter 26: Shall We Play, Doctor?

Third Person Perspective

Nick Fury is currently standing in front of Lokis cell after bringing him into the helicarrier.

Nick: In case it's unclear, if you try to escape, if you so much as strath that glass, it's 30, 000 feet straight down in a steel trap. You get how that works? Ant, boot.

Loki: (chuckles) it's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me.

Nick: Built for someone a lot stronger than you.

Loki: Oh, I've heard. A mindless beast. Makes play he is still man. How desperate are you, that you call on such lost creatures to defend you?

Nick: How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war, you steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace, and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did.

Loki: Ooh. It burns you to have come so close. To have the tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share. And then to be reminded what real power is.

Nick: Well, let me know if "real power" wants a magazine or something.

Y/N's POV

After listening to Nick talk to Loki, the camera cuts off and Bruce is the first to speak.

Bruce: He grows on you, doesn't he?

Steve: Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?

Thor turns to all of us.

Thor: He has an army called the Chirauri. They're not of Asgard, nor any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the earth, in return, I suspect, for the tesseract.

Y/N: An army from outer space. And here I thought a man sticking to a wall and having talons come out of his fingertips was the strangest thing.

Bruce: So, he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for.

Thor: Selvig?

Bruce: He's a astrophysicist.

Thor: He's a friend.

Natasha: Loki has him under a spell, along with one of ours.

Steve: Why would Loki let us take him? I mean, it's not like he's leading an army from a cage.

Bruce: I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guys a bag full of cats. You could smell crazy on him.

Thor: Have care how you speak. Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard. And he is my brother.

Natasha: He killed 80 people in two days.

Thor: He's adopted.

Bruce: I think it's about the mechanics. Iridium.....What do they need the iridium for?

???: It's a stabilizing agent.

We all turn and see Tony walk into the room.

Tony: It means the portal won't collapse on itself like it did at S.H.I.E.L.D. No hard feelings, Point Break. You've got a mean swing. Also, it means the portal can open as wide and stay open as long, as Loki wants.

Tony goes over to where Fury stands.

Tony: Raise the mizzenmast. Jib the topsails. That man is playing Galaga.

Tony points to one of the agents by a computer.

Tony: He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. How does Fury even see these?

Maria: He turns.

Y/N: Does anyone else wonder what happened to his eye?

Tony points at me.

Tony: Wall crawler is onto something, god must be exhausting. The rest of the raw materials, Agent Barton can get his hands on pretty easily. Only major component he still needs is a power source. A high energy density, something to kick start the cube.

Maria: When did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics?

Tony: Last night. The packet, Selvig's notes, the Extraction Theory papers. Am I the only one who did the reading?

Steve: Does Loki need any particular kind of power source? 

Bruce: He's got to heat the cube to a hundred and twenty million Kelvin just to break through the Coulomb barrier.

Tony: Unless, Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the quantum tunneling effect.

Y/N: Well, if he could do that he could achieve heavy Ion Fusion at any reactor on the planet.

Tony: Finally, two people who speak english.

Steve: Is that what just happened?

Tony comes over to Bruce and I and he shakes Bruce's hand.

Tony: It's good to meet you, Dr. Banner. Your work on anti electron collisions is unparalleled. And I'm a hug fan of the way you lost control and turn into an enormous green rage-monster.

Bruce: Thanks. I think.

Then Tony looks at me.

Tony: And it's nice to officially meet the Ultimate Spider-Man. I've read your file, everything. Your very smart for someone your age. And I'm a big fan how you can web swing.

Y/N: Thanks.

Then director Fury comes into the room.

Nick: Dr. Banner is only here to track the cube. I was hoping you might join him and L/N.

Steve: I would start with that stick of his. It may be magical, but it works an awful lot like a hydra weapon.

Nick: I don't know about that, but it is powered by the cube. And I would like to know how he used it to turn two of the sharpest men I know into his personal flying monkeys.

Thor: Monkeys? I don't understand.

Steve: I do.

Steve looks around at us.

Steve: I understood that reference.

I chuckle at this.

Tony: Shall we play, Doctor?

Bruce: Right this way.

Then Bruce and I lead Tony to our lab.

(Sorry this chapter is so short.)