Chapter 39 - 'What Does He Want from Her'

Chapter Thirty-Nine

- Justin's POV -

The past week has been one of the best of my life. Everything is finally going back to normal, even better than that. Everything is in perfect harmony. From Kellie and I, to Zander and I. It's all balanced out.

I cannot begin to tell you how much easier it is when every aspect of my life is in one cohesive order. Stress and pressure goes away. I can go about everyday not worried about something going wrong.

I invited Zander to come over to start discussing out plans to go after him. When we went to New York, everything that could have gone wrong; went wrong. That cannot happen this time. Or we will all be dead.

When my mind drifts back to that night, I can only think about Lynn. I have no idea how she is here. Frankly, it makes me happy that she survived, but I am unable to piece the pieces together. Bloody images from three years ago have been tattooed into my mind.

From the corner of my eyes, I see my phone. The more I think about Lynn, I feel like I should check up on her. After all, I did cut our other conversation short for no apparent reason.

I reach over and pass my fingers along the passcode. I scroll through my contacts, stopping when I see her name. I hesitate for a moment, my thumb hovering above it. My foot taps nervously when I press it, bringing it up to my ear.

The familiar ringing emits into my ear, my impatience becoming apparent. When almost a minute goes by, I end it, not being able to wait any longer. Although, I do find it odd that she didn't pick up. She normally would have answered.

I shake off my disbelief by standing up and going into my kitchen. I open the fridge, rummaging through it quickly. I end up settling for a water. It shuts with a slam and I drink about half of it in one go.

Suddenly, in the distance, I hear my phone ringing. I set the water down and hurry back into the living room. When I see the caller ID, it makes me feel a little better in the inside.

"Hey," I say but I am greeted with a hustling sound in the background.

"Justin," Lynn's voice finally comes into play, it sounding hushed and silenced.

"Lynn? Are you okay?" I reply quickly, my eyebrows furrowing deeply. I now hear heavy breathing and nothing else. "Lynn? What's going -"

"Justin, they're here," she whispers shakily. Wait, what? My voice hitches up and for once, I am unsure of what to to say.

"What are you talking about?" I manage to ask, her heavy breathing still largely present.

"His men, they're here," she whispers again and I feel my stomach drop. My God, please say he would not do that to this girl.