Chapter 44 - 'Everything's Going to Be Alright'

Chapter Forty-Four  

- Kellie's POV - 

Two Days Later

The reality of everything that has happened, still hasn't settled in. I have to admit, I'm in slight denial of Zander. The mention of his name just makes me want to breakdown and cry, but I have managed to keep my composure well. How could this have happened to him? It's just not fair. Why does some of the absolute worst things happen to the best people? 

He didn't deserve that. It's weird because I keep thinking that there is someone to blame and I have blamed Delgotta, but I don't know... I want to blame someone. But how do you place the blame on someone who is dead himself? I refuse to think thoughts of how Justin or Lucas could have saved him. I can't let myself think that because if I did, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. 

There is a certain level of acceptance that I need to reach, but I feel no need to rush. I just feel like I need time to grieve and put everything into perspective. Perspective on life now without my best friend. He won't be here for me anymore. I won't be here for him anymore. To say this is going to be an adjustment is an understatement. 

Then on a completely different note, there is my father. I found out that he got dismissed from the hospital yesterday and I took the opportunity to call him and I ran with it. I haven't told Justin yet, but he is coming to talk to the both of us. Well, my father just thinks me, but they have to meet at some point. I just have no idea on how that will go because frankly, my father was trying to kill him. I shutter at the thoughts and it makes me slightly angry, but I ignore them as best as I can. 

I shrug all my thoughts away of Zander and my father as I wash my now empty bowl of cereal and place it back to where Justin keeps his bowls. When I reach for a glass, a clear cough emits from behind of me. 

"Kels," Justin stands at the doorway of his kitchen, his brown eyes meeting my exhausted ones. I take in a deep breath as I begin to fill my glass with water. 

I stay silent. Justin has really let me be by myself. The only time he has been close to me is when he was trying to calm me down from crying. As weird as it sounds, I appreciated that. He understands that I need time alone to cope and morn. After I fill my glass halfway, I turn to him again and lean on the countertop. His eyes carry worry and concern for me. He makes his way closer to me, holding himself up on the counter to my left. 

"How are you feeling?" his voice cuts through the silent air like a knife. I take a sip of my water, clearing the dryness in my throat. 

"Tired," I answer simply, my head falling down, immediately looking at the ring on my finger. Justin has been the only thing keeping me composed. Every time I look at the shiny diamond, it gives me reassurance. 

"I meant how you're really feeling," he says and I quickly look back up to him. My eyebrows furrow slightly and I realize that I don't even have an answer. Too many emotions are running through me.