23

* * * *
"Sit down." the spy stared at Cassio suspiciously, they all remained mute as the sick Emperor coughed once more.

"I have called you all here because you must know my next decision."

"Why did you invite a representative of Silkon Valley our enemy?"

"I do not know too." the spy glared at the Emperor with contempt, "I do not know what games you or Kaley are playing but Silkon Valley will never give up on this war and I promise you that!"

"Can keep your mouth shut! You are in Kaley acting arrogant!"

"Oh please! What has Kaley offered exactly? Death? pain? suffering? Your crown prince goes around killing innocent Vallians and even Kaleans and he is still on his way to sitting on the throne and being the next Emperor! You all are mad!"

"No, you have crossed the line here! How dare speak freely in front of the Emperor as though he is a common child..."

"I am changing my heir!" Cassio interrupted their banter, his right-hand man and best friend lord Thomas stared at him not surprised. He kept mute as the two others turned to him, "what are you talking about your Highness?" the war minister asked shocked not able to believe what he had just heard.

"Sit down and listen to me!" they slowly took their seat, "What are you talking about your Highness? Change of heir? I thought Donald was your favourite heir?"

Cassio sighed sadly and looked down, "I have made mistakes in my life that have cost me and many others so much! We cannot continue this war, we will destroy each other. I will change my heir..."

"How does changing your heir affect the war between the two nations?" the spy questioned.

"The King of Silkon Valley knows and so do you two," he turned to the chiefs.

"What story? Who is your new heir the girl? How does it matter to us?"

"I..." Cassio took in a breath knowing he had promised to take what he had done to the grave, "I sinned twenty-six years ago. This war between Kaley and Silkon Valley was a result of my stupidity and negligence. The Silkon Valley princess was promised to me, as a way of an alliance and I was in love with her. We spent all our childhood together and I thought that we were going to be together forever. I met a dancer once, she was all over me but I paid her no attention as I had a beautiful woman to whom I was soon to be married.

On a faithful evening, I walked in to find my friend, Thomas..." he looked toward Thomas apologizing with his eyes. Thomas said nothing but looked away, how could he forgive that man after calling himself his friend and betraying him in such a manner? If he could even look past what he had done to him, could he look past the pain the Silkon Valley princess had gone through?

"I was so furious that I almost killed Thomas with my bare hands. Thomas was disoriented, they were asleep when I got into the chamber but I was too blind to see it. You do not know how it felt to see my beloved in the arms of my best friend. I was so furious that I beat Thomas up! After beating him up, I asked them to throw him into the dungeon for touching royalty. At that point I couldn't even stand the sight of the princess, I just wanted an escape from the pain I felt. I went to a brothel and found the dancer there. I was stunned by her beauty and we... We spent the night... It was a mistake... A mistake that has cost me more than I could think of.

When I found out what we did, I was so angry at myself, that I stumbled back to the palace still feeling the pain of betrayal. The Princess, Eliza, tried to beg, to speak to me, but I was too blind to listen. My mother heard of what had happened and asked her to return to Silkon Valley so I could get my head in the right place.