{ LXXX }

{TRIGGER WARNING! EXPLICIT CONTENT! DO NOT READ IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT, THANK YOU! Otherwise, enjoy!} 

I drop down on the couch and look out through the window. The sun shines bright in the sky and I wish I could enjoy it while it lasts.

I used to love being outside when the sun was out. I used to love staying out with my cousins all night, even when we weren't allowed to. 

But here I am, sitting inside while everyone is busy with their own stuff. 

I can hear a soft knock on the door and blink as birds fly by. The door opens and I can hear someone walking into the room. 

'Hey, you.' I look at the door and see Veah walking into the room with a soft smile on her face. 'Hey.'

I cross my legs and move some pillows so that she can sit on the couch as well. 

'Everything okay?' I nod and look back through the window, trying to focus on the sun or the birds, or maybe even the clouds. 'Why?' 

'Rio told me you locked yourself away.' She says as she drops down next to me. 

I lean over and place my head on her shoulder as I keep my eyes on the window. 

The sky is blue, but I want to see it turn pink or purple or orange as the sun is about to set. 

'He'll kill me for telling you this, but he thinks you're still mad at him for what he tried to do to Isabelle.' 

I should be. 

'I'm not,' I can feel her eyes on me as she takes a deep breath, 'He just wanted to protect us. It's what he always does.'

'That's a common thing, isn't it?' I look up at her and smile, 'He always does stupid shit to keep his family safe.' 

'Including almost getting himself killed.' I mumble, feeling dread run down my spine. 

He's doing much better now, but it still hurts to see him so... wounded

Rio could barely walk for a week and, despite our protests, he wouldn't listen to us when we told him to rest. 

He was stubborn as usual and he sometimes still is. 

'As if you didn't.' Veah says, making me turn to her. 'I wasn't thinking clearly.' 'I bet he wasn't either.' 

I roll my eyes, wondering how she went from wanting him as far away from me as possible and hating his absolute guts to siding with him when it came to stuff like this.

'He said that you locked yourself in here because your mom was too tired to go to lunch with you.' Idiot... 

I don't like the way he knows how I feel, but at the same time, I do. I just didn't need to hear it right now.