̶(̶ 1̶0̶ )̶

 K I N G S  L A N D I N G

𝕻𝖗𝖎𝖓𝖈𝖊𝖘𝖘 𝕬𝖊𝖒𝖒𝖆 𝖁𝖊𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖞𝖔𝖓, 𝖓𝖆𝖒𝖊𝖉 𝖆𝖋𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖊 𝕼𝖚𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝕬𝖊𝖒𝖒𝖆 𝕿𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖆𝖗𝖞𝖊𝖓, 𝖔𝖋 𝕳𝖔𝖚𝖘𝖊 𝕬𝖗𝖗𝖞𝖓.

The name had always haunted Alicent, and when Rhaenyra had brought it back to life, she had seen it in Visery's eyes. Her husband had never loved her. He had liked her, no question, respected her, given her warmth, but she had not been the woman he had wanted at his side. But it had come as it had come and neither he nor Alicent had had a choice. Of course he had chosen her, but Alicent was aware that no woman could have filled the void left by Queen Aemma. At the beginning of their marriage, Alicent had tried to imitate the late queen. She had tried to dress like her, talk like her, walk, eat, and even smile. But she had quickly understood that all efforts were in vain. She was Alicent and she was Aemma. Alicent had imagined her life differently, she had not thought for a second about becoming the wife of Viserys, until her father had urged her to do so. Alicent did not regret this marriage, she had loved him, even if it had not been the romantic love she had hoped for, but she had loved Viserys. Just as she had loved Rhaenyra. Probably she had never loved anyone more than her once beloved friend. Seeing Rhaenyra had always filled her with joy, but then anger had taken hold of her heart, fear, distrust and finally hatred. Nevertheless, she could never drive the love for Rhaenyra out of her heart. She had chosen her children, her family, but she had not done so because she wanted to steal something. Aegon was the rightful heir and yet she would have accepted Rhaenyra as queen. Because it was the king's wish, but when Viserys had revealed to her on the evening of his death that Aegon was to be the next king, she had done what was her duty. She had feared that Rhaenyra would not believe her, but she had taken that risk.

Alicent had almost begged Lucerys to write this letter to Rhaenyra. She had to do everything in her power to prevent a war from breaking out. But Lucerys refused, and Alicent realized that the plan she and her father had conceived, the one they were pursuing, was in danger of failing. She feared war, feared Rhaenyra's anger. Her father had told her of her reaction to Dragonstone, had raised hopes that Rhaenyra would bend the knee, but now she was sure that would not happen. A mother's rage was boundless. They had Lucerys, a stupid decision Aemond had made that could bring war. Rhaenyra had already lost Aemma. If she lost Lucerys as well, the princess would rip their hearts out alive.