(̶ ̶2̶1̶ ̶)̶

116 AC.

T H I R T E E N - Y E A R S - A G O

K I N G S  L A N D I N G

𝕽𝖍𝖆𝖊𝖓𝖞𝖗𝖆 𝖍𝖆𝖉 𝖔𝖓𝖑𝖞 𝖑𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖊𝖉 𝖜𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖙𝖗𝖚𝖊 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝖘𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖊𝖑𝖉 𝕵𝖆𝖈𝖆𝖊𝖗𝖞𝖘 𝖎𝖓 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖗𝖒𝖘 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖋𝖎𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊.

The little creature had felt so fragile that she was afraid to make a wrong move. A quick movement that would rip this gift from her arms again. So pure, so innocent, so vulnerable. Rhaenyra had known that day that she would do anything for him. She had felt the same with each of the children that followed.

With Aemma, this feeling had been especially strong. Not because she meant more to her than the others, no, but because she knew how cruel the world was to women. Her brown eyes, with their extraordinary blue gleam, had looked at her expectantly, as if she expected more than could be offered. Rhaenyra had vowed that her daughter would never have to go through what she had, but it was difficult to rebel against the world of men when you were trapped in it.

"Aemma tells of strange figures in the fire," Rhaenyra began, seeing her father turn to her in surprise.

"Strange figures in the fire?" he furrowed his brow. He looked tired and sick.

Rhaenyra nodded and played nervously with her fingers. "At first I thought it was the playful mind of a child, but it happens to many times."

Viserys placed the stone dragon back on the table and looked at her intently.

"Very interesting. It sounds like Aemma is a dreamer."

Rhaenyra took a breath. "But she doesn't dream these things. She sees things in the fire."